John Deere 170 starting issue

charliealphabravo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere 170. It runs like a champ but I have to give the flywheel a little push back with my hand in order to get it to start up. Is this due to a bad solenoid? I replaced the battery because I was having to jump it all the time but even with the extra juice it won't start up without a backwards nudge on the flywheel.
Thanks in advance.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
check you valve clearances. if too wide the compression release won't work.

Black Bart

Threads
I have a John Deere 170. It runs like a champ but I have to give the flywheel a little push back with my hand in order to get it to start up. Is this due to a bad solenoid? I replaced the battery because I was having to jump it all the time but even with the extra juice it won't start up without a backwards nudge on the flywheel.
Thanks in advance.
I had that problem with my 180, Found out that the ignition switch was not heavy enough to carry the amperage to crank it.

JD came out with a relay that plugs into the wiring harness real easy to install and then the key only closes the relay and it carries the amperage and it cranks right up.

Check with your dealer and see if that could be the problem with your 170 if it is he should have the relay kit for it.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF! :smile:

I moved your thread to the John Deere Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

Ean

Threads
Weak battery mini did that