weedeater

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The original featherlite were decent trimmers for the money. As time went on, the quality dropped, It then because on of two things they would last 20 years or 20 minutes. Proper carb tuning was the secret behind the longevity. The new trimmers on the market on set too lean and I see a lot get destroyed because of it.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
SRM-225, STIHL FS56 or FS70.

Last edited:

deminin

Threads
For a lightweight bullet proof trimmer.....Stihl FS45, with curved shaft.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
For a lightweight bullet proof trimmer.....Stihl FS45, with curved shaft.

Not sure but I don't believe the FS 45 is available anymore at least there not shown on the Stihl Site. The FS 38 is 129.95 and weighs 9.3 lbs without the cutting attachment/ deflector. It has the 27.2 cc engine. The FS 40c-e is 169.95 it's 9.9 lbs also with the 27.2 cc engine.

deminin

Threads
Not sure but I don't believe the FS 45 is available anymore at least there not shown on the Stihl Site. The FS 38 is 129.95 and weighs 9.3 lbs without the cutting attachment/ deflector. It has the 27.2 cc engine. The FS 40c-e is 169.95 it's 9.9 lbs also with the 27.2 cc engine.

Yes, that could be...my trusty FS45 is over 12 years old, and all I've had to do to it is the normal filters/spark plug stuff. We live in the deep forest, and I keep about 1.5 acres mowed....and with dozens of trees, it takes me 2 or 3 hours to trim around everything. I have a couple of big old reconditioned McColluch straight shafts...fr56...that I use along the roadside ditch, and for cutting the heavy brush when I am chainsawing in the forest...but for yard use, I reach for the small Stihl. Stihl may cost a bit more initially, but that brand seems to outlast the others by a wide margin...making Stihl the most economical brand in the long run...IMO.

joester

Threads
I vote for the Weedeater Featherlite, I bought mine in 2001 and it's still going strong :thumbsup:
Maybe we got ours from the same batch (same year I bought mine).
No more than a couple pulls if it's sat a while, and I bored the string hole to accept a larger diameter string.

tipazann

Forum Newbie
Threads
After many years of buying and fixing Ryobi trimmers, I made an impulsive buy at Lowe's and got a Husquarvarna last summer. I typically do research before making such a purchase, but didn't on this unit. I had a great experience with one of their chainsaws, and bought it purely on the name. I have not been happy with it...
I'll spare the details, but it's not starting and I've done all the usual stuff (clean intake filter, exhaust, clean / new spark plug, fresh fuel mix, clean carb, etc.)... I'm guessing that it will need a carb rebuild, already.
I just don't want to deal with that so soon, and would prefer getting a new, betterh unit. After advice of friends and reading this reviws I want try Poulan 9667..

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
After many years of buying and fixing Ryobi trimmers, I made an impulsive buy at Lowe's and got a Husquarvarna last summer. I typically do research before making such a purchase, but didn't on this unit. I had a great experience with one of their chainsaws, and bought it purely on the name. I have not been happy with it...
I'll spare the details, but it's not starting and I've done all the usual stuff (clean intake filter, exhaust, clean / new spark plug, fresh fuel mix, clean carb, etc.)... I'm guessing that it will need a carb rebuild, already.
I just don't want to deal with that so soon, and would prefer getting a new, betterh unit. After advice of friends and reading this reviws I want try Poulan 9667..

I can tell you that Jon from the review has no idea what he is talking about. The review reads like an advertisement. Now back to the issue at hand. The reason engines don't like to start is mostly dew to the gas you put in them. Dirty or full of water and so on. If you want an engine to work then put in quality "clean" gas that is not over 30 days old. I personally only use ethanol free gas. I know not everyone can purchase it at the local gas station but most auto parts stores sell a type of canned gas that is ethanol free. In a weed eater that should not need much of it in a season it is a small price to pay to have your equipment start like it is supposed to.

Oh and one more thing Polan is Husqvarna.

ingigo

Threads
My weed-eater Featherlite plus is almost 2 decades years old and still trims for over an hour, although on half choke and she is very demanding with the throttle.
I have replaced a lot of parts, but when I rebuilt the carb, it just seemed like I found more things to fix. I paid 69$ for the unit so replacing the parts to restore it would be much more than 70.....
Ask anyone one who weed eats a lot and they KNOW all weed-eaters are very finicky. I love the weight and simplicity of the Featherlite. I can use one arm most of the time to get under big trees and such. No harness needed. Very excited to see the twin string model as my huge commercial Makita two-string really takes thick stuff down and I use less string.

Overall, I highly recommend the Featherlite, I have not used the new one, but I demand much more than my equipment should handle and this thing stood up to a lot with proper maintenance.

I hope the current Featherlite model is still as tough as the previous.

Hope this helps.

ingigo

Threads
ethanol

Stay away from ethanol and pay more for the premium gasoline or pay for the fuel lines, primer bulb, carb and other things the ethanol will deteriorate them. the smaller the engine the more you need the 0% ethanol I feel.