Fastrak - Any Issues?

Rocco44

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Hustler Fastrak 42' deck. Drive to the left wheel gave out while my wife was using it. Less than 300 hours on the clock. The right hand side drives back and forth ok. If it is the hydraulic gearbox, how can I check whats wrong, and how can I remove the offending gearbox. Thanks.

I have a 2007 FasTrak Hustler. When it was "hot" from mowing, the left lever stopped working and I couldn't maneuver. The mechanic took it all apart and says I need a new transaxle.....for $2500. I have to talk with him some more to find out exactly what he has found and why it failed. No fun. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? Rocco44.

PVHIII

Threads
I have a 2007 FasTrak Hustler. When it was "hot" from mowing, the left lever stopped working and I couldn't maneuver. The mechanic took it all apart and says I need a new transaxle.....for $2500. I have to talk with him some more to find out exactly what he has found and why it failed. No fun. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? Rocco44.

Are they seriously that expensive to replace??? Holy cow!!!

Tom59

Threads

You can buy one a lot cheaper online .....labor is whether you can do it yourself or not. Most people don't swap oil out until 100 hours - it needs to be done BEFORE that , especially if you are storing it or using them commercially - for peace of mind. Metal flakes ruin internals , period. So a fresh oil change and filters early on is a smart move.
I am changing mine now before winter .....15 hours on it.....it does recommend doing it before setting them up for winter.

Be nice to hear what exactly failed maybe contact the company - anything with filters and metal to metal needs early oil and filter changes. I can absorb a 100.00 bill now rather than a worn internal part or failure later on. JMO-

The newer ones like mine 2013 models have 3100 series trannies. No idea what the older ones came with.

wishbone73

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys. Having an issue with my Fasttrak SD 42 inch. It keeps popping fuses. The 10 amp one mounted on the side of the gas tank when you lift the seat. I don't use it very often (just a few cuts in the neighborhood every week) and it only has about 75 hours on it. I really can't afford any repairs right now. What's the worst case scenario if I just slap some aluminum foil on that baby and go? I did it once to get the mower into the trailer after I ran thru the 5 fuses I'd recently bought for it, but I'm sketched about giving myself a giant repair bill. Electrical stuff is ALWAYS expensive when you take it to the shop because they know they can charge however many hours they want even if it takes them 5 minutes to fix. Thanks in advance... John

Tom59

Threads
Hi guys. Having an issue with my Fasttrak SD 42 inch. It keeps popping fuses. The 10 amp one mounted on the side of the gas tank when you lift the seat. I don't use it very often (just a few cuts in the neighborhood every week) and it only has about 75 hours on it. I really can't afford any repairs right now. What's the worst case scenario if I just slap some aluminum foil on that baby and go? I did it once to get the mower into the trailer after I ran thru the 5 fuses I'd recently bought for it, but I'm sketched about giving myself a giant repair bill. Electrical stuff is ALWAYS expensive when you take it to the shop because they know they can charge however many hours they want even if it takes them 5 minutes to fix. Thanks in advance... John

NO- do NOT put foil on it........go to Hustler and dig up schematics for the electrical. Trace the wire it might have been chaffed or pinched and its an easy fix.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Hustler+Fastrak+electrical+schematics

wishbone73

Forum Newbie
Threads
NO- do NOT put foil on it........go to Hustler and dig up schematics for the electrical. Trace the wire it might have been chaffed or pinched and its an easy fix.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Hustler+Fastrak+electrical+schematics

The guy I bought it from said it had done it once time to him also. I never had any trouble with it last season, but after it sat this last winter it started popping them like mad once I fired it up this year. Never while it's running but only on start up before the engine even turns over. I don't know how to read a schematic. Could it be possible that the 10 amp and 15 amp fuse got switched around? How can I determine what the correct position for them is? The way they are in now, the 10 amp fuse is closer to the front and the 15 amp is nearer the back. Thanks in advance. And just out of curiosity, what is the worst case scenario if I put foil on it? It has a tiny little 12 volt battery. The amount of electricity doesn't seem large enough to do any damage. This is why foreign made stuff is kicking our ***. Not even 100 hours and already a GD electrical prob. Ridic.

Tom59

Threads
The guy I bought it from said it had done it once time to him also. I never had any trouble with it last season, but after it sat this last winter it started popping them like mad once I fired it up this year. Never while it's running but only on start up before the engine even turns over. I don't know how to read a schematic. Could it be possible that the 10 amp and 15 amp fuse got switched around? How can I determine what the correct position for them is? The way they are in now, the 10 amp fuse is closer to the front and the 15 amp is nearer the back. Thanks in advance. And just out of curiosity, what is the worst case scenario if I put foil on it? It has a tiny little 12 volt battery. The amount of electricity doesn't seem large enough to do any damage. This is why foreign made stuff is kicking our ***. Not even 100 hours and already a GD electrical prob. Ridic.

Mice maybe? I checked the circuit its for the blade engagement iirc....... mine has the 10 amp in front...15 amp in the back. I'd seriously look for mouse crap or signs. They can wreck anything in short order.

Putting foil on it can burn up the circuit....or short out the switch on the other end. or melt wires.....

Threads
flh3
You have it right ... It is called "The John Deere starter relay kit"... This sounds like the classic case of low voltage at the solenoid coil on the starter...
This relay allows a sure start even with a Lot of voltage dropped on all the lock out switches and wiring without modifying any of the safety systems themselves... They run around $30, but if you are handy with wiring, you can build your own for around $10...
:smile:KennyV

I have a Honda Fastrak that is having intermittent starting issue described above. KennyV mentions that there is an easy fix with a John Deere Starter Relay Kit. I have installed that kit on John Deere tractors in the past but don't know how to do in on the Honda 20hp that is on the Fastrak. Would anyone be able to provide instructions or a link to instructions? I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

egb243

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a fastrak z and it has a broken axle for the right side pump drive! i was more than disappointed to find out that the axle and the seal could not be purchased shot of the complete
drive pump assembly!!? and have been unable to locate a used one for parts

I believe that you can purchase the parts you need -- but not from Hustler -- you will have to go to Hydro Gear for the parts

you can look them up on the internet

Good luck

Gene

neetan

Threads
Hi all Hustler fan's and owners, I have the Ft Sd with the honda 20 hp / 48". On my unit I have 70 hr. so very new. Just did my second oil change & filter change. Did realize that the filter was the same as what goes in the Honda civic, LOL.

The only issues I have not enjoyed is the Seat ~ Hard as HELL, so I changed it with a unit of a ferris mower in the US ( found one used) now it is more manageable. When it arrived the tire pressure was at 27lb ~ now down to 12lb (any suggestions from the you guys?) The only other issue is the left transmission is a bit slower, Speed of the blades seems slower then I expected and the belt has popped of a 2 times. ( any suggestions?)

Looking to put on LED lights and am thinking of the

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/131706863172?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Would love to know your thoughts!

Please pass on your thoughts, Thank you all!