Blade selection ?

div4gold

Threads
I've got a 52 inch Toro Zero turn. I got it for about an acre of established lawn and it worked good on that. I recently moved and now have 13 acres , about 9 of it pasture and weeds and the rest is house and lawn. When I got here the pasture had a lot of tall fairly stiff stemmed weeds in it. I ran the mower on the highest setting and it would mow the pasture grass good but it would just bend the taller weeds over and then they would spring back up behind me. I'm not really wanting to buy a field mower and was wondering about blade choice. Any ideas on what blade would cut the taller stuff? Thanks Howard

div4gold

Threads
That might work if I could save the fence posts and neighbors pasture/house/barn :)

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, one must be diligent in choosing the right conditions. Relative humidity of the air and correct moisture in the burn material, wind direction, wind speed etc. and neighbors considered. Sometimes fire departments are willing to assist in controlled burns. And it usually takes some wind for a successful burn, especially if the dry material is rather sparse.

In my location, even though not in a burn ban area, a person would have been an idiot to burn anything outdoors today with a relative humidity of 12 percent and sustained wind @ 23 mph with gusts to 35.

As for mowing now, I recommend a bush hog for that material but that sometimes can leave strong large ween stubs that can cause lawn tractor tire problems.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The reason that you are having this problem is that the mowing deck pushes over the tall grass and will not allow it to stand back up. No blade is going to change it. You will just have to cut it down with bush hog or something like it. But as said before it leaves stuff that is not always good on lawn mower tires.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If weeds are 4 ft. tall with stems a large as our thumb, mowing 4 times in alternate directions will sometimes get the best result, but no guarantees.

Last edited: