new mower

charnack

Forum Newbie
Threads
Our school district is going to purchase a new mower. We are thinking a 72" zero turn. I have looked at John Deere, Hustler, Spartan, Ex Mark, and Scag. They all tell me that their mower is the best of course. Would like to get a bagger kit or mulch kit, front mount de thatcher kit and striper kit. Any info would be great.

cruzenmike

Threads
Our school district is going to purchase a new mower. We are thinking a 72" zero turn. I have looked at John Deere, Hustler, Spartan, Ex Mark, and Scag. They all tell me that their mower is the best of course. Would like to get a bagger kit or mulch kit, front mount de thatcher kit and striper kit. Any info would be great.

I would look at the Ferris as well. They have full suspension models and some of the accessories you are looking for. I am thinking you are in the $12-15k price range?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the grass is being trampled on by the school kids the striper is a waste of time unless they need it to see where they have been,
For schools, long grass cut often is the best thing and a lot softer for the kids to fall on in which case mulchers would be better.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A few considerations.
JRCO makes two row tine dethatchers, largest is 60" wide. They make adapters to fit onto most major makes of ZTRs.
Is the property absolutely flat? The wider the deck, the more it will dig into irregular turf.
Does the property accumulate a lot of leaves in the fall? Leaves can be mulched, but the pieces don't decay very quickly.
I recommend a deck width in the 60" range as a 72" deck with a collection system is a very wide machine to store.
Does the property have an area where grass clippings and chopped up leaves can be easily dumped?
Who will perform the maintenance on this machine, staff or dealer?
Being in rocky, rooty, hilly New England, 52"-60" decks are common. I have a Scag Tiger Cub/48" deck/collection system/ 46" JRCO tine rake dethatcher.
I also have a Hustler X-ONE/60"rear discharge deck that is used primarily in a cemetery.
Both machines are quality and I recommend looking into their machines.
The JRCO tine rake dethatcher is an excellent attachment that can be raised and lowered easily during machine operation.
A few thoughts from Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

charnack

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the grass is being trampled on by the school kids the striper is a waste of time unless they need it to see where they have been,
For schools, long grass cut often is the best thing and a lot softer for the kids to fall on in which case mulchers would be better.

The striper is for our athletic fields

charnack

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone heard about the Spartan mowers? They are fairly new. Look like they are built really well. Is it worth going with the diesel models?