JD LA120 - new to riding mowers

Leadslingingdaddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Out of curiosity

is this a ELS 725 with the yellow air filter lock down tab?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Revisiting this thread with a couple new questions.

First of all, the machine performed flawlessly. I've had absolutely no trouble with it. Getting it ready for spring and would like to know which mulch kit folks have had success with?

Also, Bert if you're out there, I'd still welcome a pic of that fuel line tap you recommend.

Sorry,
I must have missed this post.
A std plastic in line fuel tap fitted between the tank & fuel pump, should take about 4 to minutes to shut down.
In this position it makes it easier to replace the filter.
Buy it from a mower shop.
The market is awash with cheap Chinese look alikes with the wrong rubber in the tap with either goes to jelly and blocks up the carb or swells and jambs the tap off.

Also remember to oil the steering shaft where it goes through the bush,
A bitch to get at as it is under the battery but worth doing.
If you have not done so already download the owners manual and note all of the places that need to be oiled.
Keep the tranny clean so it can remove heat readily.
For some unknown reason JD get their boxes filled with 5W 30 oil so you really need to keep it clean to prevent overheating.

cruzenmike

Threads
Looks like a nice machine, just needs a little cleaning up. I am a big proponent of religious maintenance, keeping electrical connections clean and protected from moisture/corrosion and treating it like you would a catholic nun; with the utmost kindness!! John Deere machines are built well, but years of use can loosen things up and wear out parts on just about any machine. Look for slack or play in belts and linkages. Look for loose nuts and bolts. Look for slop in the steering and the wheel hubs/axles. Good Luck with your new (to you) machine.

dfbroxy

Threads
All the repair and maintance vidios on the internet is a good thing. It means the machine is worth having and fixing. Parts for a deere arent too bad but dealers charge a fortune to fix them. If you want to keep yours for very long and be happy with it start learning as much as you can in your spare time. Trust me it will make you love your deere more and give you great satisfaction. But beware your friends and nabors will notice you have a deere and you will brag that you work on it yourself....next thing you know your the neighborhood mower mechanic.. Wait...sorry was just having flashbacks. As far as weakneses, its the transmission. Other than the engine its the most expensive part especeally if you have hills or mow 3 acres a week. So watch the vidios on changing the trans fluid and switch to a full synthetic. In the south i run 5w50, in the north i think they say 5w30 if you plan to use in the winter. I would change it now and then every 100 hours at least.

Dont let all this intimidate you. After doing the research you will be surprized at how simple these machines are to work on if you have the time. I had never turned a wrench on a mower untill about a year ago when i got a jd 155c. Im restoring it. I had to rebuild engine, then the deck. (learn to weld in the process) Replace front wheel bearings. Break open a sealed trans to replace break shoes. Wireing? dont get me started. It has 246hrs on it and all thats left before I start using it is to change trans fluid.

If you dont have the time and interest to do all that research, dont worry there are plenty on this site that will do it for you and save you a ton of money one repair at a time. Bert...is one of those and he is in great part responsible for my interest and knowledge.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And on the subject of self repair making you a "mechanic".
Get a JD Technical manual for your mower.
They are by far the best mower manual ever printed.
Clear, devoid of jargon & systematic taking you in small steps to diagnose any problem you will ever have and how to fix it.