Alternative method to start engine

MrGruffy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there lawnmowerforum Peoples,

I have a Cub Cadet with a Kohler Courage (yeah, I know!) SV720.
Wouldn't start, loud banging noise, replaced starter (it had buggered Bendix gear) to find the new one nicely spun the ring gear and nothing else.
Pulled the fly wheel to find broken ring gear, a single thing crack, but enough to loosen it on the press fit of the flywheel.

I live on 25 acres of cool weather paradise in North West Tasmania, Australia. I use the thing mostly to lug around a trailer, what with 5 trillion wallabies to keep the grass down. The trailer is handy for all manner of things.

Parts cost down here are extreme, so as I'm only using it as a rideon trailer tower, I figure I have a few options;

1. Stump up the AUD $600 for a new ring gear
2. use wheelbarrow
3. Weld the ring gear and reassemble
4. work out some other method to start the thing, like a pull start cord somehow.

Ideas welcome, and a small prize for best, workable idea.*

*prize may include gratitude and public adoration and no actual goods.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I parked my 48 ford coupe on a hill, put the tranny in 3rd gear , let-er coast down the hill and pop the clutch. Only one time did I forget to turn the key on before coasting down the hill.:laughing:

cashman

Threads
I saw a guy do this on an old Johnson 35hp outboard motor that he said you couldn't buy any starter parts for. It was used to push a pile driving rig for building docks. He had put two small tack welds on the flywheel nut that hopefully could be filed off if the flywheel ever had to come off. Then he used an electric impact wrench and socket to turn the motor over. He used a generator on the rig to power the impact wrench. He said he had been doing it that way for a while. It worked for him.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi there lawnmowerforum Peoples,

I have a Cub Cadet with a Kohler Courage (yeah, I know!) SV720.
Wouldn't start, loud banging noise, replaced starter (it had buggered Bendix gear) to find the new one nicely spun the ring gear and nothing else.
Pulled the fly wheel to find broken ring gear, a single thing crack, but enough to loosen it on the press fit of the flywheel.

I live on 25 acres of cool weather paradise in North West Tasmania, Australia. I use the thing mostly to lug around a trailer, what with 5 trillion wallabies to keep the grass down. The trailer is handy for all manner of things.

Parts cost down here are extreme, so as I'm only using it as a rideon trailer tower, I figure I have a few options;

1. Stump up the AUD $600 for a new ring gear
2. use wheelbarrow
3. Weld the ring gear and reassemble
4. work out some other method to start the thing, like a pull start cord somehow.

Ideas welcome, and a small prize for best, workable idea.*

*prize may include gratitude and public adoration and no actual goods.

Kohler's parts prices are a joke and make old Ned look like an honest man.
Had a chat to my RGS rep a few years ago when Kohler stung me $750 wholesale for a new flywheel.
Gripskies now do a range of Kohler flywheels and your part no KOH3202522-S so you can chase around for an independant repairer who retails RGS parts.
They will give you a better price on it than a national franchice glass front or major brand shop.

The usual problem is the magnets coming loose & breaking apart so if you chase around all the repair shops they wight just have a dead one with no magnets.
The engine will run fine without the magnets, it just won't be able to run the electric PTO but as you are not mowing that will not be a problem.
Just leave it on a battery tender when not in use to recharge the battery.
A new battery will do about 30 starts or 1 starts & about 2 hours of mowing.
You just licked out with me I did a cast iron scrap metal run last month
Any flywheel from a 20 to 25 HP COURAGE will fit, the COMMAND has a smaller hole.
IF you know some one who can cut a tapered hole & make a key slot, Command flywheels are all over the place as they use them in Dingos & Kangas ( Horizontal flywheel it exactly the same ) and they toss the magnets all the time.

Jack17

Threads
What is Wallaby and if it is some kind of animal can it be BBQ'd and eaten?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a smaller variant of the kangaroo and a lot more common.
Both Kangas & wallys are browsers by prefference but graze when there are no soft leaf tips to eat.
So it depends upon which Wallaby and what they have been feeding on.
Meat is light , quite tastey low fat & high protein.
Funny you should say rabbit cause it tastes very similar.
Excellent eating if you are a rare to medium type of meat eater, gets tougher the longer it is cooked.

AS for McDonalds, good chance your are actually eating prime Aussie beef which is so good your government won't let you eat it as steak.
So we export it to Mexico & they process it into McDonalds patties & pet food.

Jack17

Threads
Based on Bert's outstanding reply to your question I did a quick search and if I'm looking at the right thing (please verify) you can get it for $160 + $40 American to ship it to AUS...that still do you no good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Koh...S-Replaces-32-025-06-S-/321457301558#shpCntId

About them Wallabies...I kind of knew what there are but didn't know they browse or graze if they so choose! I can just imagine the damage they could do to my Apple trees if they were here!

...and to not to be outclassed, we have these little critters up here. Boy o' boy do the like water and digging tunnels. Two years ago lady next door fell waist deep into one of them about twenty feet away from the edge of their pond. I've hear her scream for help, ran across the street, behind her house and there she was...waist deep in the dirt. muskrat-perched.jpg

Last edited: