cutter belt

pappywith4

Threads
Hey guys and gals I have a scag super z 52" cut that the belt came off the cutter drive!
I looked at the diagram and if I put the belt on that way it is way long ?
I looked for numbers on the belt to see what belt is on there but I can't see any.
Is there anothet way to put this on other than using the diagram that is on the net?
I know a car has a way that makes it fit and any other way it wont so hopefully I am just being dumb about the way I am doing it.
Does anyone know how long the belt should be?
Thanks pappywith4

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well you are not routing it properly.
When I get a call out cause a belt wont fit it is usually because to owners is running it on the wrong side of the tensioning pulley or the spring on the tension spring itself has fallen off.
Remember if the pulley is flt ten the back of the belt runs on it, if the pulley is V ed the front of the pulley runs on it.
I have seen more than one where the belt was correctly placed on the right blade pulley then ran on the wrong side of the idler and centre blade pulley.
Usually you have to put a strap on the tension pulley to stretch the spring or you can not get the belt on.
Not sure if the Scag has one but most of the bigger units have a square hole in the tensioning arm so you can put a breaker bar in there to stretch the spring

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Idler pulley #36 is adjusted by nut number #24 and idler puller #28 is adjusted by a nut not shown on the diagram. So follow part #23 to the nut that needs to be tightened.

pappywith4

Threads
Well I got it back thanks. There was a pipe on the jbolt to take up the slack.
I think the jbolt is too long so they used the pipe . Thanks for thr replies

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I bet the belt was too long so they used a pipe to make it work.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
makes sense.
Down here those belts are just short of $ 200 ( Aus) and very few shops will take one back.
My wholesalers will not allow it.

pappywith4

Threads
Yes it is way long I saw the pipe but I thought everything like threads just needed cleaning and put it back right, not so~
So I put the pipe back and routed it like it was and run it till it goes out! I will make sure the new one fits!
Thanks again folks! john