JD D160

Tundra5.7L

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning to everyone! I'm a homeowner with a lot that is just a little smaller than 1 acre. Mowing season in these parts starts up by mid March and will sometimes run until Thanksgiving, then another two weeks or so of leaf pickup.

My current mower is a 1997 Sabre with a 15HP B&S, gear drive, and a 42" cut. Honestly the mower has been wonderful. Other than routine maintenance, I have had to put a new ignition switch in a few years ago, the blade/mower belt 2 years ago, and just this past season I changed the drive belt. Having said that, it is experiencing some oil consumption issues and I think it may be time to start shopping for something new or at least new to me.

Local mechanic has a 2015 JD D160 that looks to be in very good shape that has 174 hours on it. Can't verify the previous owner, its repair history or how it was used. My major concern is the K46 hydro in the thing. He has offered me the JD for $600 and my mower. Would you take this deal, not knowing how the mower was treated by the previous owner?

Glyn Robinson

Threads
I'm gonna say that 176 hours is getting close to half of the usual life span. someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Tundra5.7L

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm gonna say that 176 hours is getting close to half of the usual life span. someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Kind of my thought as well. I'm wondering why someone would get rid of a good mower in that amount of time? My thought is the original owner worked it pretty hard and traded it in before it started having major issues. It was actually purchased at a JD dealer here locally. I may get the serial # and see if they have a service history on it.