quality of zero turn cut

vicki h

Threads
I bought a John Deere zero turn (basic model) based on recommendations. After spending $2400 on the mower, I do not like the quality of the cut. Some rows appear almost shaved, others look like the grass has been pushed down. The latter issue is the most irritating.

I tried running the mower at highest throttle -- no improvement. I talked to the John Deere dealership about a mulcher blade - too expensive. I talked to a client who owns a lawn-mowing business; he suggested having the blades sharpened, even though I just bought the machine last April (2016). Today I went to a lawn mower shop; the proprietor suggested that I buy a blade with a higher lift.

Lawn mowing season is just a few weeks away and I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

Jack17

Threads
I take it that you have a two (2) blade (or is it 3?) 42" ACCEL DEEP type deck that isn't cutting well?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mowers should be run at Full Throttle, for best cooling & cut.

I love the cut my lil 4260 TimeCutter does.

vicki h

Threads
I take it that you have a two (2) blade (or is it 3?) 42" ACCEL DEEP type deck that isn't cutting well?

Hi Jack -

I do not know how many blades it has but it has a 42 inch deck. It is the most basic of the zero turns. I can look up the model number tomorrow, if that would help.

R/Vicki

vicki h

Threads
Mowers should be run at Full Throttle, for best cooling & cut.

I love the cut my lil 4260 TimeCutter does.

Buddy -

Running at full throttle does not help.

R/Vicki

RDA.Lawns

Threads
You should be running at full throttle. You may need to slow down on your ground speed!

RDA.Lawns

Threads
; he suggested having the blades sharpened, even though I just bought the machine last April (2016). Today I went to a lawn mower shop; the proprietor suggested that I buy a blade with a higher lift.

Lawn mowing season is just a few weeks away and I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?
blades don't last forever!!! I change blades more than I change socks lol about every 5 hours I swap blades out on my mowers with a sharpened or new set!!!!!

Jack17

Threads
Hi Jack -

I do not know how many blades it has but it has a 42 inch deck. It is the most basic of the zero turns. I can look up the model number tomorrow, if that would help.

R/Vicki

I was called in on en emergency last night and didn't finish my first reply...sorry. OK, I do not believe that your machine is incapable of a nice cut. Do a few simple "checks and adjustments" first.
1. Tire pressure...make sure that it is where specified by the OM.
2. Make sure that the deck is leveled properly. Follow OM procedure for the adjustments.
3. Take/unbolt the boot/shoot OFF the deck and put it away.

Now, pick a nicest and flattest part of your lawn, hop on it, full throttle/RPMs and start mowing. Go slow at first and watch your cut...report back if still NOT to your satisfaction!

vicki h

Threads
I was called in on en emergency last night and didn't finish my first reply...sorry. OK, I do not believe that your machine is incapable of a nice cut. Do a few simple "checks and adjustments" first.
1. Tire pressure...make sure that it is where specified by the OM.
2. Make sure that the deck is leveled properly. Follow OM procedure for the adjustments.
3. Take/unbolt the boot/shoot OFF the deck and put it away.

Now, pick a nicest and flattest part of your lawn, hop on it, full throttle/RPMs and start mowing. Go slow at first and watch your cut...report back if still NOT to your satisfaction!

Hi Jack -

Are you referring to the grass shoot? If so, can it be removed without turning the mower on its side?

Thanks!

R/Vicki

Jack17

Threads
Vicki, hello, how are you?
My apology to you...I've assumed too much! Please do not do anything I've told you yourself. Please ask for help. A person that you can trust with some mechanical aptitude to do it for you.