quality of zero turn cut

primerbulb120

Threads
Okay, looks like we're all on the same page about the discharge chute. :thumbsup: Sorry Jack, didn't realize you meant for testing only.

There is a set of high lift blades available from JD for this mower. However, I need to make sure Vicki isn't trying to mulch before I recommend them. Mulching thick grass with high lift blades will bog the engine and deliver a poor cut quality.

Jack17

Threads
Yes, discharge chute does nothing to improve your safety! If anything it makes chunks more accurate. I just don't want Vicki to get hurt taking it off. Factories put the chutes in place to prevent people still in the seat sticking their fingers in it to unclog decks while machine's running. So they put a foot long plastic piece on it thinking...problem solved! Not so! Next came seat safety switch:laughing::laughing:. Anyway, keep in mind that these particular decks were engineered with high ground speed cutting in mind. They were build to perform and I happen to agree with Vicki that "she paid good money for it" and that "the blades that came with it should perform as intended" so at the end she should've be forced to buy a special blade to make it work.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Okay, looks like we're all on the same page about the discharge chute. :thumbsup: Sorry Jack, didn't realize you meant for testing only.

There is a set of high lift blades available from JD for this mower. However, I need to make sure Vicki isn't trying to mulch before I recommend them. Mulching thick grass with high lift blades will bog the engine and deliver a poor cut quality.

After reading that last post, It doesn't look like were all on the same page to me. Looks like some are confused.:confused2:

primerbulb120

Threads
After reading that last post, It doesn't look like were all on the same page to me. Looks like some are confused.:confused2:

:confused2: I didn't realize that's what Jack meant! :confused2:

But we still agree that the discharge chute should not be removed.

vicki h

Threads
Hello -

I am not sure to which message I am replying -- I am new at this "thread thing" -- perhaps I am replying to all of them. If so, thank you all for your willingness to help.

I run the mower at full throttle; however, I do not mow quickly -- I take my time. After mowing with a 21" push mower (albeit a good Toro self-mulcher) for years, I enjoy just sitting there on my little tractor with my feet not aching.

Do not worry about my removing the chute -- I don't know how.

Why are the original blades not worth sharpening?

R/Vicki

primerbulb120

Threads
Yes, discharge chute does nothing to improve your safety! If anything it makes chunks more accurate. I just don't want Vicki to get hurt taking it off. Factories put the chutes in place to prevent people still in the seat sticking their fingers in it to unclog decks while machine's running. So they put a foot long plastic piece on it thinking...problem solved! Not so! Next came seat safety switch:laughing::laughing:. Anyway, keep in mind that these particular decks were engineered with high ground speed cutting in mind. They were build to perform and I happen to agree with Vicki that "she paid good money for it" and that "the blades that came with it should perform as intended" so at the end she should've be forced to buy a special blade to make it work.

Jack, please educate yourself on the function of a discharge chute before declaring it useless.

I agree that it should have cut perfectly from the day it was new. But unfortunately, that's not the case with many mowers. That's where we come in :biggrin:

vicki h

Threads
Are you mulching, discharging or bagging the grass?

I am simply discharging the grass - another cause for chagrin. When I went to John Deere to inquire about a bagger, they quoted me $1000.00 for the bagger and labor.

R/Vicki

vicki h

Threads

I would LOVE to mulch; however, that is another expensive option. The mulcher is only one aspect of the expense: the labor at John Deere is at least $300.00.

R/Vicki

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello -

I am not sure to which message I am replying -- I am new at this "thread thing" -- perhaps I am replying to all of them. If so, thank you all for your willingness to help.

I run the mower at full throttle; however, I do not mow quickly -- I take my time. After mowing with a 21" push mower (albeit a good Toro self-mulcher) for years, I enjoy just sitting there on my little tractor with my feet not aching.

Do not worry about my removing the chute -- I don't know how.

Why are the original blades not worth sharpening?

R/Vicki

I wouldn't worry about the chute, it serves a purpose where it's at. As far as sharpening the original blades I wouldn't waste the time. Generally speaking most company's original blades are pretty cheap and will use themselves up pretty quick and if you haven't done anything with the blades since you purchased the mower they probably at this point isn't enough left to sharpen. I know you probably can't answer this but have you check the spindles? Are they sealed bearing or do they need greasing. Another question... what type of grass are you cutting?

primerbulb120

Threads
Vicki,

Your mower is currently equipped with medium lift blades (part number M170639). For the best cut quality, you need to install high lift blades (part number GX25668.) Your dealer or a local repair shop can do this for you.

The new blades will require sharpening before installation, so make sure your dealer/repair shop sharpens them before installing them. They should have a razor-sharp edge when you get the mower back.

Also, make sure that you are cutting at the correct height for your grass. I cut most lawns at 3 inches.