Kohler Courage SV715s Will Not Crank

ukwildcat53

Threads
I have a Kohler Courage SV715s engine built in 2007. I have been having trouble for the last couple of years getting it started. If it will crank it starts easily but I cannot it is very hard to get it to turn over. I have read about the automatic compression release being a problem. I have adjusted the valves because everyone says that is the first thing to check. I have cleaned battery connections. I have replaced the battery. If I remove the spark plugs the engine spins easily with the starter. I have looked at the service manual and it says that this engine has ACR but I can't find anything about it. Some engines have a spring and weight but I don't see that setup on this engine. Is the ACR just a lobe on the cam or how does it work? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ukwildcat53

Threads
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...ler sv715s engine&aqs=chrome..69i57.39051j0j8

see page 19 regarding ACR

have you checked these websites for information?

I don't know what you are trying to show me. The link just pulls up a page with a bunch of links. As far as page 19 of the service manual this is what it says:
"These engines are equipped with an automatic compression release (ACR) mechanism. It is difficult to obtain an accurate compression reading because of ACR mechanism. As an alternative, use cylinder leakdown test described below."
That only tells me that it is equipped with an ACR which I stated in my original post. As far as checking websites, I have been searching for days and looking at everything that comes up. I haven't found anything that shows how the ACR works. That is why I asked the question I did. No one is answering about how the ACR works so maybe no one here knows how it works.

NorthBama

Threads
The one I repaired for my BIL broke and fell down in the oil sump area. It had high compression and would not turn past TDC. The ACR is attached to the cam gear and holds the valve open until the engine starts and it slings away from the cam and the valve works normal. When engine stops a spring pulls the ACR back in position to hold the valve open on the next start. I think I still have the old cam I will try to take picture. As shown in the picture ACR broke where the flat section ends.
]ACR2.jpgACR2_Ink_LI.jpg
ACR 1.jpg

Last edited:

ukwildcat53

Threads
The one I repaired for my BIL broke and fell down in the oil sump area. It had high compression and would not turn past TDC. The ACR is attached to the cam gear and holds the valve open until the engine starts and it slings away from the cam and the valve works normal. When engine stops a spring pulls the ACR back in position to hold the valve open on the next start. I think I still have the old cam I will try to take picture. As shown in the picture ACR broke where the flat section ends.
]View attachment 31188View attachment 31190
View attachment 31187

NorthBama, thank you for your reply but as I stated in my original post, I know some models have the spring and weight that you showed in your post but when looking at the service manual and the parts list for my model that part is not there. If that part doesn't exist for my model then that must not be how the ACR works on mine. That is why I was asking if anyone knew how the ACR worked on my model. I appreciate the information.

NorthBama

Threads
Sorry for not reading your post more closely. The engine I am referencing is a single courage engine. your engine is a twin courage. The ACR on your engine may be ground into the cam lobe I not sure.

ukwildcat53

Threads
Sorry for not reading your post more closely. The engine I am referencing is a single courage engine. your engine is a twin courage. The ACR on your engine may be ground into the cam lobe I not sure.

That is what I am thinking. I was hoping someone here would know for sure. I have read on another forum that the ACR was a cam lobe on some of the Courage engines. Thank you for your help.

NorthBama

Threads
You could do some exploratory surgery and post results with pictures so we could know for sure.:thumbsup:

ukwildcat53

Threads
You could do some exploratory surgery and post results with pictures so we could know for sure.:thumbsup:

I have never torn apart an engine like this so it is out of my comfort zone. That is why I am trying to find out how the ACR works on this engine. If I need to break it down to fix the problem I will, after all it won't run now but I don't want to do that if I don't need to. The replacement cam for this engine is made of steel, not plastic so I am wondering what the chances are that a lobe has broken or worn enough to need to replace it. Maybe the ACR is not the problem. I just thought that might be the problem because I have seen so many complaints about that problem on all of the forums.

NorthBama

Threads
I have seen bad starters drag under a load because of worn bearings. I am not saying go buy a new starter but its something to check.