Price Check Looking for info on original selling price of old lawn boys

parkboy

Threads
  • / Looking for info on original selling price of old lawn boys
Does anyone have or know where I can find a listing of the original sale prices for old lawn Boys? There is an old embossed tag on the shroud of my 5238 with $114.95 on it. I wonder if that could be the original selling price in 1969?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does anyone have or know where I can find a listing of the original sale prices for old lawn Boys? There is an old embossed tag on the shroud of my 5238 with $114.95 on it. I wonder if that could be the original selling price in 1969?

Search the "net" for vintage and retro lawnmower advertisements, sales brochures, lawnboy vintage promotional materials, small gasoline powered lawnmowers ... and so on .... PATIENCE is key !! .....:thumbsup:..Boobala

Lawnboy77

Threads

114 bucks sounds about right for a new 1969 pusher D-400 19 inch. I remember my father bought a new 1977 pusher D-400 21 inch brick top for around 180.

cashman

Threads
That price sounds about right for 1969-70 era. We sold Lawnboy that we got through Lawnboy Distributors Southeast in Atlanta. They were part of the OMC Group. Interestingly, they were the first distributors of Wisconsin-Robin engines made by Fuji in Japan in the US for our area. Sorry I didn't save any price list's from them. Most of the Snapper, Toro, Lawnboy, and other premium line walk behinds were well over $100 by then. Sears still sold their price leader 2 -cycle Power Products 18 inch mower for $19.95.

unclelee

Threads

unclelee

Threads

2smoked

Threads
Unclelee's ad copies really illustrate how relatively expensive the old two-stroke Lawn Boys were. The ad from 1973 shows $99.50. That same year, my Dad bought a conventional Briggs powered mower for $50.00. It lasted only a few seasons. When you look at how many of these old Lawn Boys are still running, it only proves that you got what you paid for. BTW, I just love looking at those old ads. They take me back to a time when many products were easily serviced and made to last.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unclelee's ad copies really illustrate how relatively expensive the old two-stroke Lawn Boys were. The ad from 1973 shows $99.50. That same year, my Dad bought a conventional Briggs powered mower for $50.00. It lasted only a few seasons. When you look at how many of these old Lawn Boys are still running, it only proves that you got what you paid for. BTW, I just love looking at those old ads. They take me back to a time when many products were easily serviced and made to last.

Because women ( if they did work ) worked in offices and men worked in factories so men could tell sh#t from clay and were not afraid to pay for quality
Back in 1972 $ 99 was what , a week's wages , a fourtnites pay , a months pay ?
now days people pay less than 1 days pay for a push mower & expect to get a quality item
For a weeks pay they demmand a ride on.

and as you said you only get what you pay for.

parkboy

Threads
Because women ( if they did work ) worked in offices and men worked in factories so men could tell sh#t from clay and were not afraid to pay for quality
Back in 1972 $ 99 was what , a week's wages , a fourtnites pay , a months pay ?
now days people pay less than 1 days pay for a push mower & expect to get a quality item
For a weeks pay they demmand a ride on.

and as you said you only get what you pay for.

Thanks to everyone who responded! That tape may very well be the original price tag. I know a basic 2 cycle Wizard mower with a Power Products engine sold for about $49.95 at that time. They were a pretty short-lived machine. I have not seen one for many years. By comparison, the many Lawn Boys that are still goin' prove they were some of the very best machines ever made.

unclelee

Threads
A little more on earlier mower prices. This is a 1948 Craftsman. It is the first Rotory mower that they offered.
It was manufactured by the Rotory Power Mower company or RPM. The RPM company was purchased in 1952 by OMMC, and became Lawnboy. Notice the $144.50 price tag.