Buying my first riding mower / lawn tractor.

cruzenmike

Threads
My local dealer will sell it for 2600 + tax, which brings it to over 2800 vs 2500 online. I like the idea of having a dealer assemble and deliver, but $300 is a lot. Need to see if he will take off the tax if I pay cash.

If the dealer cannot match the price at least, then order from online. Free shipping and saving $300 is surely worth it if you set the mower up yourself; which by the way is very simple from what I have seen.

Max Headroom

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am still using my first riding tractor. Bought a 14.5 HP 42" deck Poulan from Home Depot in 1994. It's only been in the shop 2 times for repairs (other than annual maintenance). The drive pulley system failed and drive belt replacement. I keep waiting for the tractor to complexly seized so I can update. But the old girl just would not quit.

cruzenmike

Threads
Hey everyone – brand new here and could use some of your expert opinions! I get the impression that I’m going to be the rookie amongst a bunch of enthusiasts and professionals with much larger needs, but I hope you don’t mind helping me out.

I just moved to a larger piece of property – about 0.6 acres all-in, including the house. This past summer (first year in the house) I only maintained the front – it’s beautiful sod and was able to mow/trim in about 45 minutes with my push mower. This year I’m going to start keeping the back nice as well (the lawn is not NEARLY as nice back there) and think I need to step up to a riding mower / lawn tractor . I’ve never bought a rider before and could really use some advice. I don’t have a budget per se, since I’m willing to pay the price that makes the most sense, but from some basic research I hoping it’s possible to pay in the $1.5 - $2k range. Let me know if that’s crazy.

Here is some basic info/questions, but let me know what else is needed:

- Located in Long Island, NY.

- Property is pretty much entirely flat, with almost no trees. I have to maneuver around a bit of landscaping in the front, but nothing crazy.

- I need to be able to get up and over the bricks that line the driveway.

- Need to be able to fit through the fence gate – I don’t have the measurements on me (I can get it), but it’s standard sized gate for a PVC fence.

- I prefer to mulch vs bag – do I actually need a mulching kit? Would prefer to not buy anything else. I would like to option to buy a bagging kit in the future if I change my mind.

- I generally mow high, around 3.5” – 4” if I had to guess (highest setting on the push mower). Not sure if that matters?

- The machine will be used for mowing 95% of the time (I mow once a week). I guess it would be nice to be able to perform other tasks, but I don’t currently have plans for that. Is there something I should be considering here?

- It would be very convenient to buy from Home Depot or Lowes. I’m expecting that people recommend I go to a dealer, but that would mean more $$$. Online retailers?

- Are there any sales coming up I should know about?

- What brands can be trusted? I know the big names (John Deere, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet), but what about others like Poulan, Craftsman, Toro etc? Even with the bigger names, I assume they have different grades of quality?

- I’ll be maintaining it myself, so want something that is easy to take care of.

- Separately, I need to buy a snow blower, too. I’ve pretty much been told that it’s a better idea to get a separate machine for that, but I have toyed with the idea of a plow attachment for the tractor. I live on a main road and get plowed in very badly, so need some power to clear it out. Maybe I can get a deal by buying both machines at once?

Ultimately, I don’t need anything too fancy, but I want it to work well and last a while. I really care about my lawn and put alot of effort in to keeping it nice. This is why I’d rather buy a machine to do it exactly how I want instead of paying a landscaping coming to do it.

Thanks for the help.

What did you end up going with? Just curious. . . . .

outdoorlover

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response. The big box brands I'm looking at are Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Toro and (maybe) Craftsman. Are they all MTD?

Also, I've been told that John Deere does not make a separate, lower quality line for HD/Lowers - meaning as long as the model number is the same, it doesn't matter if I get it from those stores or a dealer. Do you know is that is true? Looks like I can get a lower end Deere in my price range - I have to assume the quality is better, but it won't have as many features as those other brands.

Are there any features that I should be looking for? I'm thinking things that make maintenance easier (easy access to blades, ability to quickly remove the deck, easy/clean way to drain oil, etc.). Or are all brands pretty similar in this regard?

I'm curious. What did you end up going with? I'm really loking into John Deere but it seems you were not too keen on that one haha. Let me know. :smile:

Noodles

Threads
I'm curious. What did you end up going with? I'm really loking into John Deere but it seems you were not too keen on that one haha. Let me know. :smile:

Went with the Toro timecutter ss4225 from a local dealer. He matched the mowersdirect price including delivery and whatever assembly it required. Very happy with it so far, and extremely happy I went with the ZTR vs a tractor. My only extremely minor complaint is that it doesn’t stripe as nicely as the push mower.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Congrats on the Timecutter, they are great machines for residential. My Timecutter 4260 stripes fine. Are you mowing crooked lines or it doesn't stripe well ?

Nice having the different speed ranges as well. You can add a length of mudflap out back that is as wide as the inner part of the rear tires. That is easy & wouldn't cost much at all.

Noodles

Threads
Congrats on the Timecutter, they are great machines for residential. My Timecutter 4260 stripes fine. Are you mowing crooked lines or it doesn't stripe well ?

Nice having the different speed ranges as well. You can add a length of mudflap out back that is as wide as the inner part of the rear tires. That is easy & wouldn't cost much at all.

Thanks! Stripes are not as defined, but yes I’m sure some mud flap would fix it easily.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am still using my first riding tractor. Bought a 14.5 HP 42" deck Poulan from Home Depot in 1994. It's only been in the shop 2 times for repairs (other than annual maintenance). The drive pulley system failed and drive belt replacement. I keep waiting for the tractor to complexly seized so I can update. But the old girl just would not quit.

Take good care of it.
They do not make them as good as that any more till you get to around $ 10,000. :thumbsup: