Buying my first riding mower / lawn tractor.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
This might be the most helpful comment. At my price point, and my needs, I really can't make a terrible decision. The mowers really are very similar, so it's just a matter of finding the right compromise.

I was hoping that someone would help me see the light and convince me that a higher end model makes more sense. I'm still open to being convinced but for now I'm not sure a Deere makes sense for me.

A little reminder... measure your gate openings !! I had a friend that in the excitement of a big sale ....bought a mower with a deck larger than his fence opening ..... wound up using his neighbors push mower to do his backyard until he had the fence people remedy his issue with larger costly gates... also .... have you thought about where this machine will reside when not in use ??
leaving a machine in the elements definitely shortens it life span... NOT trying to break your bubble ... however there are a few other considerations not to be overlooked in our excitement of getting a new "toy" ...:2cents: ..:thumbsup:..Boobala

Jack17

Threads
I like Deere. Deere is a benchmark! I won't buy a Cub unless it was 30+ y/o and made by IH. Second, try order parts from MTD. Just pick any imaginary model and part and try to get it ordered on-line from MTD. Now do the same with Deere parts store...you'll see the difference for yourself.

Noodles

Threads
A little reminder... measure your gate openings !! I had a friend that in the excitement of a big sale ....bought a mower with a deck larger than his fence opening ..... wound up using his neighbors push mower to do his backyard until he had the fence people remedy his issue with larger costly gates... also .... have you thought about where this machine will reside when not in use ??
leaving a machine in the elements definitely shortens it life span... NOT trying to break your bubble ... however there are a few other considerations not to be overlooked in our excitement of getting a new "toy" ...:2cents: ..:thumbsup:..Boobala

Yeah, I appreciate the reminder, and I've been aware of this. So my gate is 51", and I measured the XT1 46" deck at Home Depot and I think it was 48". That's tight but I think doable. What's odd is that the website has it listed as wider. So I need to figure this out.

As for shelter, it will be in the garage or a shed, so I'm ok there.

Edit: just realized that the width on the site is likely with the chute down. I measured with it up. Either way I need to confirm.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
QUOTE: Noodles- I’ll be maintaining it myself, so want something that is easy to take care of.

That eliminates a 3 blade deck. Sure some will say it makes no difference but believe me a 2 blade deck is easier to maintain than a 3 blade.

Jack17 said D110 is the mower you need and he is correct. I believe the spring sale is over. Maybe you can still deal at a dealer but i doubt lowes will.

Jack17

Threads
D110 is a "beginning" of something half decent. Something that was meant and if maintained in proper way to last. I won't buy D105 because of CVT. I just hate those things with passion...bad experience with 917.xxxxx made Craftsman. :thumbdown:

Noodles

Threads
QUOTE: Noodles- I’ll be maintaining it myself, so want something that is easy to take care of.

That eliminates a 3 blade deck. Sure some will say it makes no difference but believe me a 2 blade deck is easier to maintain than a 3 blade.

Jack17 said D110 is the mower you need and he is correct. I believe the spring sale is over. Maybe you can still deal at a dealer but i doubt lowes will.

I think I've only been looking at 2 blade decks but I'll keep this in mind - thanks.

I'd still love someone to tell me why the D110 is worth the extra cost over the Cub Cadet. On paper the CC has much better specs.

Jack17

Threads
I'd still love someone to tell me why the D110 is worth the extra cost over the Cub Cadet. On paper the CC has much better specs.

For me, primarily, its the engine. XT1 comes with Kohler SV541 (single courage) while Deere got Intek.

cruzenmike

Threads
You only need to convince yourself! If you cannot, get the Cub Cadet. You likely won't be disappointed with either, but I will say, you probably won't regret having a bigger deck and engine, whereas you could retreat them both being too small. Just a thought. . .

Noodles

Threads
You only need to convince yourself! If you cannot, get the Cub Cadet. You likely won't be disappointed with either, but I will say, you probably won't regret having a bigger deck and engine, whereas you could retreat them both being too small. Just a thought. . .

Yup, going with the biggest that will fit. I need to measure again, but my gate is about 51" wide and the mower (with chute up) is 48.5". Going to be close.

Noodles

Threads
For me, primarily, its the engine. XT1 comes with Kohler SV541 (single courage) while Deere got Intek.

What is single courage? The xt1 is a v-twin.