raw gas issues

the_4th_horseman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, so I have recently acquired a older 25hp electric start 48" craftsman ride on mower, the problem being that there is raw gas spewing out of the throttle body, just like an angry volcano while cranking the motor over, it will fire up briefly before it floods out and dies, hoping someone has some insight out there as its greatly appreciated

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like a float valve not closing, or stuck open in combination with a fuel pump . Will need to remove carb, clean, possibly install a repair kit and see what happens. Will need model number information before we can give more detailed instructions.

the_4th_horseman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey thanks for getting back to me, the model number for my mower is 944.601051, or 944.611490, for some reason there are two number written on the owners manual....So upon further inspection on the engine I have found one of the rockers loosened off and I dropped a pushrod, so gonna put that back in play and see what that does for now

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just make sure the valve guide which it the tube in which the valve moves isn't interfering with the movement of the valve. In times of overheating they guides will migrate outward causing the valve guide to hit the spring retainer on the valve which causes the bent push rods.