Ariens Riding Mower steering issue

smpark

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Ariens riding mower model # 960460010. When either front wheel is pointing straight forward, the other is pointed outward a couple of inches. Drag links and spindles look unbent or damaged. They are non adjustable. The steering shaft, with steering wheel removed, seems to have a little play in it, but looks to be engaging the steering toothed assembly adequately. A little play also in steering wheel when installed. Anyone have ideas on what is wrong? Thanks!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

Steve91927

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Ariens riding mower model # 960460010. When either front wheel is pointing straight forward, the other is pointed outward a couple of inches. Drag links and spindles look unbent or damaged. They are non adjustable. The steering shaft, with steering wheel removed, seems to have a little play in it, but looks to be engaging the steering toothed assembly adequately. A little play also in steering wheel when installed. Anyone have ideas on what is wrong? Thanks!

I have the same problem with an Ariens I just purchased used. I haven't completed the modification yet, but the parts are on order. The cheesy welded pan front axle is notorious on riding mowers for being weak and flex/bending for no apparent reason. Ariens axles in CAST IRON are hard to find, but as the mower's manufactured by Husqvarna, I'm taking a bit of a chance and ordering a cast axle for a similar sized and looking Husky. I'm also getting the pivot bushings and the wheel axle bushings, as any play or wear on these will add to the sloppy, out-toed problem. My stuff was purchased on e-bay and totaled about $80. For your info, these are the Husqvarna part numbers that I ordered:
Cast Axle: 532 195968
Pivot Bushings: 532 194737
Wheel Bushings: Didn't have a no., but they're just plastic sleeves and appear pretty universal.
Good Luck. If all fits, it should permanently fix the problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The cross members rarely bend but the drag links do.
Because people will not pay a fair & reasonable price for ride on mowers the factories make them cheaper each year
So several years ago adjustable drag links were replaced with the cheaper no adjustable bent bar with swaged in bolt.
The replacement aftermarket drag link is around $ 80 Aus sold through ebay.
If we are doing them here hey should be available in the USA

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Checked to see if the holes on the sector gear plate or the axle are wallowed out. If they are just a little, they will change the amount of travel by the tie rod. Sloppy or worn ball joints will do the same.