Question about 12.5 HP Briggs & Stratton

Dutch mower

Threads
IMG_9859.jpgIMG_9856.jpgIMG_9857.jpgIMG_9858.jpg

Hello all, I've a question about our Briggs&Stratton lawnmower. I've just purchased the mover and several functions were disconnected, so I've some questions. For instance, I can't figure out how the gas handle works. In the pictures you can see how the situation is, and that's how it was when I got the mower. Where must the gas cable be connected to?
And do I miss some parts here? The air lifter was loose and needs to be connected. But do I need some parts? I don't get it how it all works. Many thanks in advance

Tinkerer200

Threads
Welcome and if you would like a Service Manual (Overhaul Manual) and an Illustrated Parts list, contact me at address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The choke linkage. is suppose to go through the slot in the bracket to the left and stop in front of the bracket to the right. it pushes the choke closed when you advance the throttle. The white piece at the end of the throttle cable that has a screw in it. The screw is not suppose to be there and the end of the throttle cable should have a Z at the end and hook into that hole where the screw is now.

Dutch mower

Threads
The choke linkage. is suppose to go through the slot in the bracket to the left and stop in front of the bracket to the right. it pushes the choke closed when you advance the throttle. The white piece at the end of the throttle cable that has a screw in it. The screw is not suppose to be there and the end of the throttle cable should have a Z at the end and hook into that hole where the screw is now.

Many thanks, I'll try the things you mentioned.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suggest you start from scratch and locate a community trade school that has a small engine repair course. Take the mower to the class as your project. That will eliminate all the un-necessary nonsense mistakes in the communication and language of such a complex endeavor.

Dutch mower

Threads
gashendel.jpg

Ok, I'm a bit further now. I've managed to fix, the break, replaced a very old spark plug, and I got the engine started!
I have a few questions still. What is the throttle handle in my picture? Is that # 1?
I know that #2 controls the choke, right? So, what does increase the RPM in the engine?
And where do I connect this cable #3? I suppose this is the throttle cable and the choke cable (???)
Or does this engine originally had a separate choke cable?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The throttle cable should have a Z at the end it fits in the hole that is currently occupied by the screw in the white piece of plastic also in number 3 On the back side of that white plastic piece are teeth that engage into the part that you have marked as number 2 Number 2 has a tab on the back that has a spring that also attaches to the bottom of number 1 so as the white piece moves back and forth is changes the pressure on that spring which varies the engine speed. At its most forward position pushes the linkage that is in number 2 to close the choke for starting. And then you pull back slightly on the throttle to open the choke for running.

Dutch mower

Threads
The throttle cable should have a Z at the end it fits in the hole that is currently occupied by the screw in the white piece of plastic also in number 3 On the back side of that white plastic piece are teeth that engage into the part that you have marked as number 2 Number 2 has a tab on the back that has a spring that also attaches to the bottom of number 1 so as the white piece moves back and forth is changes the pressure on that spring which varies the engine speed. At its most forward position pushes the linkage that is in number 2 to close the choke for starting. And then you pull back slightly on the throttle to open the choke for running.

Many thanks Ilengine, this explains a lot. The spring between number 2 and number 1 is gone, so that was confusing. But with your very clear explanation, I've something to work on tomorrow. Best regards!!

Dutch mower

Threads
Now I have another problem. Yesterday I could start the engine with a 12V 70A battery and the engine started with no problems. Today I bought a new battery 12 V 60A and now when I turn over the ignition key, nothing happens. The motor doesn't spin, no sound what so ever. The battery is OK because the headlights do go on. So what should I check first? Is the starter engine dead? Or what should I do now?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most likely problem with either the safety switch on the clutch/brake, or the pto switch or lever that engages the blades.