Question about 12.5 HP Briggs & Stratton

Dutch mower

Threads
Thanks! Where can I find the safety switch? Is that near the clutch? And what is the PTO switch or lever and where can I find it?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The safety switch should be near the clutch, look for wiring going down into that area, and while moving the pedals look for the switch. The one on the pto if you have the lever type to manual engage the blades may look similar to the one on the clutch.

Dutch mower

Threads
You're right. I've found it! The level that engages the blades, was in a safety position. As soon as I put the level downwards, I could start the engine.
Many thanks again!

Dutch mower

Threads
gashendel.jpg

Thanks for all the input so far. I've bought a new throttle/choke cable. But I have one more question, what is the function of the level that is #1 in my picture? What does it do? And should it be connected with #2?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Number 1 in your picture is the governor arm. It connects to number 2 with the governor spring. The purpose of the governor is to slow the engine down. The spring is what speeds the engine up. The two fight for position therefore you get the desired engine speed. If you look a the back side of that bracket you will something that is attached to number 2 that kind of looks like a U but not quite bent all the way. It will have a hole in it. One end of the governor spring connects in that hole. the other end of the governor spring will connect into a hole in the governor arm, number 1 in your picture. That hole will be located at the same level as the hole in the U when the throttle is positioned at full throttle. I tried to find a picture of it in the service manual but didn't find one.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
These items may be helpful .......
click on this link , for a short video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ZPp3wDf0M

here's a few pics to help also..

2011-03-13_173252_briggs_vertical_linkage_006.jpg..2011-03-20_205944_briggs_vertical_linkage_006.jpg..2011-07-02_015436_12.5_briggs_vertical_linkage.jpg..1396455523390.jpg

PLEASE ...... next time please post your mower & engine make, model, & type numbers to HELP US help YOU !!

Dutch mower

Threads
Thanks for all the help en information guys, this helps me a lot.
Especially the pics and the link from Bobala! Many thanks.
This made it very clear to me how if works and how it needs to be connected.

Some pics from my mower. What I know, it has a Briggs&Stratton engine with 12.5 HP and it's from 1993.

The number: IMG_9859.jpg

IMG_9845.jpg
I do father sons jobs and we make all sorts of cool stuff together.

And this is the idea:
03_Diesel-Weasel-Lawn-Mower-Rat-Rod-Viking-Chris-Smith-Doc-Sprockets-Garage.jpg indy5.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well now with some numbers we can get somewhere...
Click on link below for your engine service manual...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00/view

and this is just 1 place that I do business with but there are many others .. Jacks is fairly reasonable and has good delivery times

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...399999-series/289700-to-289799/289707-0130-01

But I see you are located in Fl. also.... Therefore I recommend you try dealing with (sjmparts.com) they have several distribution points
in Fl. and I get my parts the next day if I order before noon they have a flat/rate shipping fee $9.99 but it is FAST !!

http://www.sjmparts.com/

YOU will need your model number and type when ordering parts from these suppliers !!! good luck ......... Boobala..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dutch mower

Threads
Hello and thanks for the links. I'm from Holland but filled in Florida by mistake.

I've another question about my muffler. This how it looks like now and the machine makes a lot of noise.
uitlaatje.jpg

What am I missing? And is this the muffler? By the look at the three bolts it appears to me that there should be something attached. (?)
And what can I do to make the mower more quiet?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello and thanks for the links. I'm from Holland but filled in Florida by mistake.

I've another question about my muffler. This how it looks like now and the machine makes a lot of noise.
View attachment 31210

What am I missing? And is this the muffler? By the look at the three bolts it appears to me that there should be something attached. (?)
And what can I do to make the mower more quiet?

I dont think the 3 screws are original equipment to the muffler........... it appears it may be burned -out !
If it's really that loud .......I would purchase a new one ....... Sorry , ...I can't offer more than that ...