Drive belt pulley on a J.D. 345

85harley

Threads
Well I had to take my 345 to the shop where they had to heat and use a big puller to remove the drive belt pulley (item number one in the picture). I have installed the new cam and other goodies and installed the engine on the mower and got it running. It is time to install the drive belt pulley and I have some concerns about it . I would appreciate any advice you all coud give me on this little chore. Will I have to drive it on, how far up the crankshaft does it go? Anything you all could offer will make my life easier.

Last edited:

mjb8fj

Threads
Well I had to take my 345 to the shop where they had to heat and use a big puller to remove the drive belt pulley (item number one in the picture). I have installed the new cam and other goodies and installed the engine on the mower and got it running. It is time to install the drive belt pulley and I have some concerns about it . I would appreciate any advice you all coud give me on this little chore. Will I have to drive it on, how far up the crankshaft does it go? Anything you all could offer will make my life easier.

oh man that sucks! sorry to hear that, it happens though. Wet grass or humity build up and can freeze it in place. If you coat the shaft with anti seeze, the pulley will slide on and if you lock the brake on, the belt should go right on with the slack from that. Hope it works for you

85harley

Threads
oh man that sucks! sorry to hear that, it happens though. Wet grass or humity build up and can freeze it in place. If you coat the shaft with anti seeze, the pulley will slide on and if you lock the brake on, the belt should go right on with the slack from that. Hope it works for you

Whew! Got it on and rode it around. It would be easier if I had one more elbow in my arm.LOL Thanks