Engine PTO Clutch Not Engaing

groverson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I replaced the PTO clutch on my LX172. I checked the PTO switch with my multi-meter and it seems fine. The deck is currently not on and it starts up right away and purrs like a new mower after 23 years.
I checked the two 15 amp fuses and they are OK. When I start the the mower and pull up on the PTO clutch it kind of clicks and hisses but does not engage. I also put on a new drive belt. It moves around the yard just fine but cant get the damn thing engaged. What do you think I'm missing? I bet its something so simple.

Jack17

Threads
I'm not saying that this is it but when you've replaced drive belt did you take the PTO off? If you did, first and foremost, make darn sure that the PTO engaged the anti-rotation rod.

groverson

Forum Newbie
Threads
No I did not take off the PTO when replacing the drive belt. The drive belt was replaced prior to the PTO clutch swap. Does the mower deck have to be installed for the PTO Clutch to engage?
I'm a novice with this stuff. Ill check out what the anti-rotation rod is.

groverson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not knowing too much about PTO clutches and how they work could my problem be that the PTO clutch pulley needs tension on it from when the deck is installed? If the tensioner doesn't apply enough tension will the clutch not work?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The clutch is inependant of the deck.
Pull the plug on the PTO wire and try to hot wire the clutch.
If the clutch is working it should engage with a pronounced clack.
The Clutch pulls 3 to 5 amps so if the battery is not up to scratch then it will dissengage.
If you are a total newbie, buy the JD manual for your mower.
It is written so people who do not know what a spannar looks like can understand it.
It will pay for itself the first time you fix anything.
I have seen text books that are not as easy to read & use as the JD manuals.

groverson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Bert. I did put in a new battery. When I pull on the PTO switch I hear it click then hisses a bit but no engagement. One thing though my parking brake on the LX172 has never worked. The red brake handle just hangs there and is not connected.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the ignition turned off it should go clack and that is is on- off nothing else.
They are a simple electromagnet like a relay .
If it is not getting enough amps it will flutter, just the same as starting a car with a 3/4 flat battery.

When the ignition is turned on then it is subject to the safety circuits however we test the clutches with the ignition turned off.

The book gives you very detailed instructions how to test them with little more than a multimeter which you already have.

groverson

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I get NO click or clack when the PTO switch is pulled up and down. If I use my multimeter at the connection down by the pto clutch should I get 12volts? or maybe the pto switch is bad even though my multimeter says its good.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So I get NO click or clack when the PTO switch is pulled up and down. If I use my multimeter at the connection down by the pto clutch should I get 12volts? or maybe the pto switch is bad even though my multimeter says its good.

Correct 2 wires on the clutch, 12 V on one ground on the other.
PTO switch is a simple sliding brass strip and they do burn.
Some models use a relay but that adds costs .

I have never heard one hiss

Most have an air gap adjustment and the instructions for that are in the owners manual which you can download for free from JD and in more detail in the repair manual which you have to buy.

JoeM(GA)

Threads
I have a PDF of the Deere Tech manual you're welcome to, shoot me your email if wanted.

Joe