Engine Series Inquiry on my new Mower

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
JD has and possibly still does manage the engine warranty on many of their machines. They buy engines from the manufacturers at lower prices this way and relabel JD.
My spin on your engine is that it is either an Intek or Pro series V twin that has a similar version of the Cyclonic Air Filtration System that is on B&S
Commercial Turf series engines. On the B&S website the parts manual is available in pdf form for the 44J600 series engines. The round air filter probably is a smaller diameter version of the commercial Turf engine filters. The filter is a different part number and uses the foam prefilter. The black plastic intake manifold on the Intek/Pro series engines and the single barrel carb indicate either an Intek or Pro series engine. They also changed the intake to cylinder head gaskets which were a problem on some engines with the plastic intake.
I strongly recommend that you use OEM oil and air filters and the oils that the operators manual recommends should you have a warranty situation happen.

deere78

Threads
JD has and possibly still does manage the engine warranty on many of their machines. They buy engines from the manufacturers at lower prices this way and relabel JD.
My spin on your engine is that it is either an Intek or Pro series V twin that has a similar version of the Cyclonic Air Filtration System that is on B&S
Commercial Turf series engines. On the B&S website the parts manual is available in pdf form for the 44J600 series engines. The round air filter probably is a smaller diameter version of the commercial Turf engine filters. The filter is a different part number and uses the foam prefilter. The black plastic intake manifold on the Intek/Pro series engines and the single barrel carb indicate either an Intek or Pro series engine. They also changed the intake to cylinder head gaskets which were a problem on some engines with the plastic intake.
I strongly recommend that you use OEM oil and air filters and the oils that the operators manual recommends should you have a warranty situation happen.

Thanks for the insight and it sounds like this engine is made just for JD and I will likely never know if it's a Intek or Pro. It also sounds like they made some positive mods with the filtration and gaskets.

Yeah I will be using JD oil for at least the 4 year warranty period.

Jack17

Threads
I will likely never know if it's a Intek or Pro.

Wow! This is so cool! It's almost like a quest to find the Holy Grail. Everybody knows that there was one but nobody knows what it looked like!?

deere78

Threads
Wow! This is so cool! It's almost like a quest to find the Holy Grail. Everybody knows that there was one but nobody knows what it looked like!?

Well to me it's not that big of a deal but more curiosity than anything. I'm genuinely surprised B&S couldn't come up with a clear answer and couldn't pull that model up in their system. I guess I could always ask Deere which series it is.

I would hope that they wouldn't use the cheapest of engines in their select series machines but who knows.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The dealer parts lookup system doesn't show your engine, but if I go to the briggs dealer only portal and do a search for you model number I can get the parts diagram and the owners manual as a PDF. So your engine hasn't been updated into the briggs interactive parts lookup system yet.

deere78

Threads
The dealer parts lookup system doesn't show your engine, but if I go to the briggs dealer only portal and do a search for you model number I can get the parts diagram and the owners manual as a PDF. So your engine hasn't been updated into the briggs interactive parts lookup system yet.

Odd these engines were used all last year in the X330 so they have been around at least a year. Another oddity is when I look at Briggs engines on their site they don't list a 20HP 724 CC, the current 20HP v twins are only 656 CC. Will the parts diagram tell us what series it is?

mowerman05

Threads
if you google your model number there is a little info there.

Jack17

Threads
O well and for whatever its worth, Ive asked this guy I know that runs pretty substantial in size landscaping business. Most of his equipment is Deere, so he knows a thing or two about it. Told me that most of Briggs V-Twins would have R, S, T or M in model numbers. "J" stands for Briggs that were put together by Deere...he says?! Rumor has it that Briggs couldn't build these engines fast enough for Deere so Deere asked them to provide all the parts and we'll put them together ourselves for our use...hence the J in model#. Sounds kind of far fetched but who knows?:anyone: