New guy here, 13 1/2 hp B&S no compression

Dryan

Threads
put the old rings on the old piston and with a feeler gauge measure the gap between the ring and the piston land, there are min and max allowances for this and if the are too great the ring can snap and if too thin hang on the cylinder wall.

Thanks some learning going on here.

top ring= .043
2ed ring=.02220170307_150212.jpg

Dryan

Threads
Did that piston come from an authorised B & S dealer of from a online retailer on evilbay / amazon etc.

While there is some logic in that shoulder it would make accurate machining of the pin hole almost impossible as you can not hone all the way to a shoulder.
I have a sneaky feeling that piston have have it's origins elsewhere.
It is the sort of thing I would expect to see in a counterfit engine.
If it is genyine then one side of the piston pin should be square on the end to do against the clip while the other end would need a substantial chamfer at the end to compensate for the zone where you can not hone.

I bought the mower from home depo in 2006, used it about 6-7 years to cut my moms field (its not grass) mower sat for a few years , son in law got a piston and rings for it but did not install, thats how I got it, the piston is in a B&S box that he got from dealer PISTON ASSEMBLY 797009 Date Code 1441,DD025.

The light colored piston in the picture is what came in it when I bought it, the piston is a little different than the replacement I was given to replace.

Dryan

Threads
The new replacement piston ring measurement20170307_154906.jpg:
top ring .002
2ed ring .002

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I bought the mower from home depo in 2006, used it about 6-7 years to cut my moms field (its not grass) mower sat for a few years , son in law got a piston and rings for it but did not install, thats how I got it, the piston is in a B&S box that he got from dealer PISTON ASSEMBLY 797009 Date Code 1441,DD025.

The light colored piston in the picture is what came in it when I bought it, the piston is a little different than the replacement I was given to replace.

You just need to be careful.
there are a lot of fakes out there and just being in a box with B &S printed on the outside is no guarantee it is genuine.
God fearing, church going , pillars of the community will happily go to China & buy 10,000 fake pistons in fake boxes then come home , set up an amazon -ebay shop and sell these defective products to their fellow countrymen.
Close that shop when they re all sold .
Then go back to China and do it all over again with another product.

snorky1

Threads
oem b&s parts are made in china!! and wowzers on those used piston/rings gap

Dryan

Threads
tried installing piston today, bent bottom oil ring,not doing something right.20170308_153742.jpg

Is it possable to over tighten a ring compressor? Video's on utube sure make it look easy, ordered ring.

snorky1

Threads
yes it is very easy to over tighten a ring compressor esp with the ones that use a 3/8 ratchet to tighten like a lisle brand
u need to inspect the piston carefully for damage now and never fully collapse rings as you can damage the rings and not even see it or damage the piston and not see it