New guy here, 13 1/2 hp B&S no compression

Dryan

Threads
The 2 top rings being broken isn't very common. Why do you suppose they broke?

I have no idea, but I will say this I could move the piston on the pin , the pin in the rod was a good fit.

I have to put things on hold for a few day until gaskets get here on Monday, got the valves lapped in and head cleaned up.

Dryan

Threads
I have a question: The piston i got came with a piston pin and a package containing 2 pin clips. The piston pin only pass's through the piston from 1 direction, My question is do both clips have to be installed? There is a note in the box that says" Piston pin installation, all parts in this kit must be installed as a set. Do not re-use existing parts"

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never seen a briggs engine piston that the wrist pin could only be inserted from one direction. Is it possible that one of the clips may be already installed.

Dryan

Threads
I have never seen a briggs engine piston that the wrist pin could only be inserted from one direction. Is it possible that one of the clips may be already installed.

No clip existing, if I look closely I can only see 1 side that has a set for the clip. The original piston and pin pass's through either side and has seats for the clips, like you were saying.20170306_173247.jpg

snorky1

Threads
I have a question: The piston i got came with a piston pin and a package containing 2 pin clips. The piston pin only pass's through the piston from 1 direction, My question is do both clips have to be installed? There is a note in the box that says" Piston pin installation, all parts in this kit must be installed as a set. Do not re-use existing parts"

there might be 2 different piston types requiring 2 clips for one type
i am curious about broken rings and no damage to the cylinder wall, did you reinstall the rings and check the piston land to ring gap

Dryan

Threads
there might be 2 different piston types requiring 2 clips for one type
i am curious about broken rings and no damage to the cylinder wall, did you reinstall the rings and check the piston land to ring gap

Not quite sure what you mean, I did install 1 of the new rings and squared it up in the bore using a piston, measured the the gap, it was .010, thought that was good.
20170228_164910.jpg

I have the piston and rod together now using 1 clip, there is no way it could go together using 2.

The rod cap has 2 torq #40 bolts the same size, a #40 bit not not fit like it should, hope this does not become a problem when tightening up. To test the condition of the fit I stuck the bit into the fan to flywheel bolts that were also T-40 and it was excellent fit.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be a running change in part design or manufactured by different company. Maybe they had issues with the clip coming out, so redesigned the piston to eliminate the circlip. I am assuming the side without the circlip faces the bottom of the cylinder when assembled correct.

Dryan

Threads
Could be a running change in part design or manufactured by different company. Maybe they had issues with the clip coming out, so redesigned the piston to eliminate the circlip. I am assuming the side without the circlip faces the bottom of the cylinder when assembled correct.

yes, the clip is on flywheel side . I got the rings on tonight. tommoro will install.

i will get back to

snorky1

Threads
put the old rings on the old piston and with a feeler gauge measure the gap between the ring and the piston land, there are min and max allowances for this and if the are too great the ring can snap and if too thin hang on the cylinder wall.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No clip existing, if I look closely I can only see 1 side that has a set for the clip. The original piston and pin pass's through either side and has seats for the clips, like you were saying.View attachment 31270

Did that piston come from an authorised B & S dealer of from a online retailer on evilbay / amazon etc.

While there is some logic in that shoulder it would make accurate machining of the pin hole almost impossible as you can not hone all the way to a shoulder.
I have a sneaky feeling that piston have have it's origins elsewhere.
It is the sort of thing I would expect to see in a counterfit engine.
If it is genyine then one side of the piston pin should be square on the end to do against the clip while the other end would need a substantial chamfer at the end to compensate for the zone where you can not hone.