Stihl FS-85 won't start

Ortis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi - I have a Stihl FS-85, 2-stroke-cycle, string trimmer, an echo chainsaw, and other tools with small engines.

The current problem is with the FS-85. It quit, and upon looking into it, I found that the piston was badly scored. So, I bought a piston & cylinder kit, replaced the damaged units, and figured I was home-free. It didn't work out that way. It has good spark, feels like it has compression, and yes I did put gas/oil mix in the tank. It won't even try to start. I even tried ether and got nothing.

Do those symptoms ring any bells to the hordes of users on the forum?

Thanks in advance,
Ortis

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
1) was it a genuine Stihl kit or a cheap Chinese "oem copy" .
A lot of the stuff sold on evilbay / craigs list is the stuff that was made by the supplier to Stihl quite truthfully.
However it is the stuff that Stihl rejected as being below production standards.

Next , crankcase prssures are more important than cylinder compression so do a pressure & vacuum test on the crank.
If the crank can not maintian a vacuum then it can not suck the new charge from the carb.

Blue smokes can be a regular bugger to break in rings.
I some times have to run the crank off my drill for quite a while before I get acceptable compression
Remove the pull start & drive the engine off one of the crank shaft nuts, backwards or forewards makes little difference without a plug.

Ortis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all for ideas-

It's running like a champ now. After about a million pulls, I put a few drops of oil in the cylinder, pushed the primer bulb and realized it was sucking as much air as gas, tilted the engine so the fuel pickup was in a deeper spot, pulled once, and off it went. There seems to be a leak in one of the fuel lines, so I am getting new ones. It must have been failing for a while, since now it idles nicely, which it has not done in several years. Whew!
-Ortis