L160 Kohler Command engine swap issues

lilla251

Forum Newbie
Threads
After having the oil drain plug fall off my L160 while mowing (oops), I bought and installed a newer Kohler Command 16hp engine. Since the wiring was different (two wire coil, different connector), I installed my old single-wire coil and wiring harness on the 16hp engine. Now, when I connect everything and hook up the battery i begin to get smoke from the stator. Is this because of my wiring, or could it be from the mower itself since it sat in the weather for a few weeks until I found an engine?

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Its because of the wiring is wrong. BTW the stator is now fried and will need replaced. Hopefully that's all you fried.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Its because of the wiring is wrong. BTW the stator is now fried and will need replaced. Hopefully that's all you fried.

The 2 wire coils are totally different to the single wire coils. They have a powered timing module so one of the wires sees battery voltage ( SAM unit )
The single wire unit is self contained and has nothing but a grounding wire to kill the ignition, If you put battery voltage for even brief second it is dead and leave it connected for long enough some will burn the wiring as you are making a direct short through the chip.

IF you want help we will need full model numbers off the mower, and both engines.