IS600z oil change issue

dude1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a newer Ferris IS600z, and when I change the oil, only about 1/2 of the oil drains out (about 30oz or so). There is a rubber hose that you can pull through a hole through the bottom, then unscrew the plug at the end of the hose to drain the oil into a container. I let the oil drain for maybe 1/2 hour and it slowed to barely a trickle if that. The mower takes 62-64 oz of oil, so I knew that only 1/2 drained out in that time since I drained it into a 64 oz container. I wouldn't expect it to take much longer than 1/2 hour for most of the oil to drain out. Any suggestions?

Buckethead

Threads
I have a newer Ferris IS600z, and when I change the oil, only about 1/2 of the oil drains out (about 30oz or so). There is a rubber hose that you can pull through a hole through the bottom, then unscrew the plug at the end of the hose to drain the oil into a container. I let the oil drain for maybe 1/2 hour and it slowed to barely a trickle if that. The mower takes 62-64 oz of oil, so I knew that only 1/2 drained out in that time since I drained it into a 64 oz container. I wouldn't expect it to take much longer than 1/2 hour for most of the oil to drain out. Any suggestions?

Warm up engine to operating temp. Loosen oil fill cap. I punch a small hole in filter while it is draining then put screw in hole before removing.

pauldeere

Threads

I am also in the process of doing the first oil change on a Z2100 with a B/S engine. I left the oil drain over night, it appears to be about 1qt. of oil in the drain pan. I haven't removed the filter yet, could it be that the rest of the oil will come from the oil filter and the oil cooler? .....

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't over sweat the volume of oil Nephews stump grinder calls for 78-80 ounces of oil per the owners manual. Drain and refill with exactly 64 ounces. Talked to briggs and was basically told that some of the oil remains in the engine and if it shows full on the dipstick then don't worry about it. oil capacity is what is showed in the owners manual but in reality actually oil replacement volume can be much less.

Briggs pushmower engines take about 20 ounces, but the briggs oil bottles are only 18 ounces, because when you drain the oil about 2 ounces remains in the engine and if you put in 20 ounces it will be overfilled.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is why I use a pump.
Clean quick and efficient .

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is why I use a pump.
Clean quick and efficient .

It's the only way to go. Well, maybe not the ONLY way, but a darned good way to go.

The first time the pump is used on an engine, I always test to see how much is left by using the pump until it can't get any more, then taking out the plug and see how much comes out. I have two vehicles that the pump gets it all. I have one vehicle that the pump won't get the last quart (it holds five). I can either do the drain method, OR pump it and shorten the change interval 20%.

It works really good on small engines because you can usually find a way to tip them so that the pickup is at the lowest spot in the sump. My old roto tiller's engine must be removed to get to the drain plug. How many people are going to do that? Tip it forward a little and the pump gets it all. Same with the power washer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And don't be too anal about getting the last drop, you can not do it.
Change 90% will be fine.
On big engines with sumps measured in gallons you only replace 1/2 to 1/3 the oil at any change .
Our big tractor holds 3 gallons of oil and has a drain hole that leaves the last gallon in there, to get that out you need to pull the sump or use a pump as the bottom drain plug is not accessable with the engine in the tractor.

pauldeere

Threads

This is my second reply to your post. I changed the oil in my z2100 Ferris with a 26 h.p. Briggs with only 5.7 hrs. The oil level was on the full mark on the dip stick before I drained it, however only 1 and 1/2 qt. drained out, keeping in mind this engines oil capacity is 2 qts. When I put the new 2qts. in the engine the dip stick shows that the engine is 1/2 qt. over filled. Is it possible that Briggs put the wrong dip stick in this engine? Will check with B/S by phone tomorrow and post back. Knowing this I think it is possible that your engine was Low on oil......

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's why I use a drain jug that I have marked measurements (in quarts) on w/ a Sharpie. So I know just what I've drained outta an engine.