What holds it up

85harley

Threads
I am working on my JD 345 and need to install a new engine drive belt pulley. I do not see a set screw. Is it a taper fit ? Thanks for your replies and for this forum.

JoeM(GA)

Threads
it should be a straight hub on the pulley with a key, no taper, the PTO clutch holds it in place

mjb8fj

Threads
none of them are tapered, which pulley are you replacing? There is a pulley that has bearings in it, which might be frozen- depending on which pulley you are talking about? And, if you pull the pto clutch off, put some anti-seeze on it when you install it, to save you self a lot of work next time.

85harley

Threads
none of them are tapered, which pulley are you replacing? There is a pulley that has bearings in it, which might be frozen- depending on which pulley you are talking about? And, if you pull the pto clutch off, put some anti-seeze on it when you install it, to save you self a lot of work next time.

Thanks for the reply. It is pulley number one.

mjb8fj

Threads
the picture that JoeM put up there, thanks for that, there is the engine pulley (has a shaft key) then that first pulley. That one has a bearing in it, held in by a carriage bolt (only way to get to that is to remove engine). Those bearings can fail so maybe that's what is holding you up. Hopefully you can get to it and pop it off or pull it down. 345's are great machines, hope you get it going again

cashman

Threads
I'm looking at buying a new mower for my wife to use. We have about 3 1/2 acres to mow total. She has used an Ariens GT-17 in the past and really liked using it. She spent some seat time on a friends Cub Cadet 1045 series and an Exmark LazerZ but didn't like either very much. The Exmark made her back sore and the Cub Cadet was too loud. Seriously considering the John Deere X500 series. Really like the X-700 series but they are a little too spendy for us. Would like to hear some feedback from anyone that is familiar with the X-500 series tractors. Thanks!!!

85harley

Threads
How do I get pulley number one back on the shaft? Will I have to drive it on? How far up the crankshaft does it go? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It will stop when it hits the shoulder on the crankshaft. It should slide on and turn freely by hand. the key will key it from turning. and the tightened bolt that holds the clutch on keeps everything in place.