Need help with Kohler Triad

r1pilot83

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a 23HP Kohler Triad engine that I am putting in a 60" Grasshopper 725K. I bought this engine as a replacement for the original 20hp engine that blew up. Upon doing the swap I have noticed a couple things. The triad engine isn't as tall. I am having 1" shims made so that the driveshaft for the blades will line up. The shaft is much smaller in diameter compared to the previous engine. I will have to order the appropriate pto, even though the old engine had a brand new one on it. Third, the exhaust studs are 90 degrees different when compared to the other engine. Where can I find the appropriate exhaust? This is a horizontal engine keep in mind. Thanks for any help that can be sent my way.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lets start with a model number of your engine. the 23 hp and Triad name just don't jive. The original Triad engine came in 16,18, and 20 hp, and was a good engine for some people but got discontinued for good reason. Kohler lost a lot of money over that engine when they had to replace most of the engines in Walker mowers under warranty with a totally different engine.

r1pilot83

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lets start with a model number of your engine. the 23 hp and Triad name just don't jive. The original Triad engine came in 16,18, and 20 hp, and was a good engine for some people but got discontinued for good reason. Kohler lost a lot of money over that engine when they had to replace most of the engines in Walker mowers under warranty with a totally different engine.

You are right. It's a 20HP Triad. I will get a model # for you tomorrow.

r1pilot83

Forum Newbie
Threads
I looked for the model number and it is unreadable. It's a 20hp triad. I have the engine mounted now and I have hit a roadblock with the wiring. A 20HP Kohler Command came off of the grasshopper. Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for the Triad? There are 3 wires on the Triad harness. A red, white, and green wire. The old Command had 4 wires. A red, yellow, white, and purple wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

r1pilot83

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 20170305_133057.jpg
    20170305_133057.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20170304_160008.jpg
    20170304_160008.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 7

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most likely the three wires on the left on the triad would be the red is fuel solenoid. white will be kill, and I suspect the other wire goes to the regulator/rectifier for charging.

Did the old command engine have the starter solenoid mounted on the starter. That could be the yellow wire you are talking about. The extra wires you have connected to the starter on your first picture just don't look right.

r1pilot83

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you are right. I took the two wires off the starter and mounted them to the new solenoid. The old Kohler had the solenoid on the starter. I got everything wired up today. When I turn the key I get nothing. I am terrible at wiring, but I honestly thought that I had this one down. I guess what I have to do is figure out what is what on the mower harness side. I will get pics of it tomorrow.