46" Yard Machine Will Not Go Forward or Backward

lenglish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning!

I'm new to the forums and this is my first post. I recently discovered that my Yard Machine (13RN771H729) will not go forward or backward when the shifter is moved to Forward or Reverse position. I removed the battery and battery support straps and checked the belts (which were replaced about a year ago) and they seemed fine. I did discover that an extension spring (PN 732-04276A) was dangling from the outside of the battery housing and that one of the hook ends was missing. I looked at my parts manual to discover that this spring is hooked to the shifter shaft when installed. My question is would this broken spring cause my mower to no longer go forward or backward or should I be looking for other problems?

Thanks so much for any info you can provide!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The broken spring wouldn't cause your problems. You didn't happen to pull the mower into the garage with the speed selector in a higher speed, put the shifter in neutral, let the clutch out, and then shut off the key did you.

If so,restart the mower, put the speed selector in a high gear, let the clutch out, and the put the clutch back in, move the speed selector to a lower speed, and then put the mower in R or F and see if it will move.

lenglish

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried your suggestion and it fixed the problem. I never knew that. Thanks so much for your help! I will replace the spring regardless, but now I can mow!!! :cool:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why it happens is because when you let the pedal out in a high speed setting, the belts are synced for the higher speed. When you restart the mower, most people will set the speed selector at a low speed, but because the belts haven't turned, the belts stay in the high speed positions. The low speed selector keeps the pedal from coming up all the way, and will prevent the front drive belt from tightening.

Doctorrog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why it happens is because when you let the pedal out in a high speed setting, the belts are synced for the higher speed. When you restart the mower, most people will set the speed selector at a low speed, but because the belts haven't turned, the belts stay in the high speed positions. The low speed selector keeps the pedal from coming up all the way, and will prevent the front drive belt from tightening.

Thanks for this. I just joined this forum as I was at my wits end. my mtd was showing exactly these symptoms. She had run out of petrol and the starter pinion had shattered when I tried restart. Thus I pushed it back to the stables in a high gear...but in neutral. I was thinking I had a transaxle failure but wondered how I cud be that unlucky! Anyway, following your advise she is back running so well pleased and thanks for this thread from Illinois from the uk.. the joys of belt drive...