Bolens 38" Lawn Mower - Need advice

Magilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a Bolens riding lawn mower that isn't starting.
I've cleaned the carburetor; replaced the spark plug, fuel line filter, and air filter; drained the gas tank and put new gas in; and have also replaced the battery.

When I turn the key, I can hear it click, but it doesn't turn over at all. What should I look into next?

I'm competent with tools, but don't have much experience when it comes to small engine repair; so any advice is very appreciated.

Magilla

Forum Newbie
Threads

I did as the video said. When I put my multimeter on the little wire (mentioned at 2:23 in the video) it only read around 1.2 . I know he mentioned that this might indicate a problem with any number of switches... Should I start with checking those? And what order would be the best to check them in? Or should I try something else?

Thanks for your help NorthBama!

NorthBama

Threads
I could find a wiring diagram if you could post the model number under the seat. you will have a cutting blade disengaged switch, a brake switch, seat switch and drive neutral switch. When you are sitting on the seat with brake applied blades pto disengaged drive in neutral 12 volts positive travels through the switches and applies 12 volts to the small wire on solenoid which closes the large contacts inside the solenoid Applying 12 volts positive from the battery through the large wire on the solenoid to the starter. A good ground negative must be at the solenoid mounting bolts for the solenoid to complete the small wire circuit to energize the solenoid. Also check for good connections at the battery with no corrosion on the battery connectors.

Magilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
I could find a wiring diagram if you could post the model number under the seat. you will have a cutting blade disengaged switch, a brake switch, seat switch and drive neutral switch. When you are sitting on the seat with brake applied blades pto disengaged drive in neutral 12 volts positive travels through the switches and applies 12 volts to the small wire on solenoid which closes the large contacts inside the solenoid Applying 12 volts positive from the battery through the large wire on the solenoid to the starter. A good ground negative must be at the solenoid mounting bolts for the solenoid to complete the small wire circuit to energize the solenoid. Also check for good connections at the battery with no corrosion on the battery connectors.

I have a 3 post solenoid, so the ground is where it mounts to the frame, everything seems alright there; there's solid contact and everything's mounted securely (don't know if I should be looking for something more). I also cleaned the connectors with a wire brush earlier today and replaced the nuts and bolts as well.

The model number is 13AM662F163. And again, thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

EDIT: I was just doing some research and I think I might've gotten the wrong battery for the lawn mower. I took the original battery to Auto Zone and had them test it, they said it was bad and then they got me a replacement. The MTD part number for my mower's battery is 925-1707D; when I google that number, it refers me to the U1R type, however, what I was given as a replacement is the U1-145 battery. I know that's an issue and am going to swap the battery out tomorrow. Could that have harmed the lawn mower at all?

Last edited:

NorthBama

Threads
after looking at the wiring diagram you have a orange wire coming off the start terminal at start switch then goes to the brake switch. 12 volts should go through the brake switch and comes out as orange and black wire. the orange and black wire goes to the pto switch and comes out of the pto switch as orange and white wire which should apply 12 volts at the solenoid terminal. you should confirm the wire routes and colors so we are on the same page.
I always replace the battery with the same CCA as the original battery. No I don't think you damaged anything with the battery replacement.

Magilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced the battery with the correct one and it's cranking now! Of course, that revealed another issue. It runs fine until I run it with the blade engaged for a bit (less than 5 minutes), it starts sputtering. It never actually dies, but it sounds horrible. It keeps sputtering even after disengaging the blades. Also, this causes the lights to flicker in time with the sputtering.

Just to reiterate, I cleaned the carb, replaced the spark plug and the fuel line filter, and also put some sea foam in with the gas. Any ideas?

NorthBama

Threads
what about the gas tank anything blocking fuel flow from the tank. Also did you replace fuel filter with correct one. The gravity flow filter is different from an engine with a fuel pump. It only takes a small piece of blockage in the carburetor to cause problems.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/ Go to this site and scroll down and find your carburetor for cleaning instructions

Last edited: