590v cam timing

85harley

Threads
I am a new member and need some advice. My cam gear broke and the timing mark was destroyed. I would like to know which cylinder is number one and how can I be sure the new cam is replaced in time .My mower is a 1996 John Deere 345. Thanks

Jack17

Threads
In general, the cylinder that is closest to the front of the engine is #1. As far as the cam on the main crank should have a mark (a hole or dimple) directly and dead center on a key-way. The valve cam should have a hole thru and thru. Those are your timing marks.

85harley

Threads
In general, the cylinder that is closest to the front of the engine is #1. As far as the cam on the main crank should have a mark (a hole or dimple) directly and dead center on a key-way. The valve cam should have a hole thru and thru. Those are your timing marks.

Thanks for the reply. I have not found the mark on the cam. I am thinking the destroyed part of the cam is where the mark is. The crank has been turned and I am afraid I will install the cam a half turn out of time. I am thankfull for any help I can get.

Jack17

Threads
The timing mark on a cam is going to be directly on the tooth that is right above a key-way cut.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
T The crank has been turned and I am afraid I will install the cam a half turn out of time. I am thankfull for any help I can get.

This is impossible if you get the cam gears on the proper timing marks. The camshaft turns haft the speed of the crankshaft.

85harley

Threads
This is impossible if you get the cam gears on the proper timing marks. The camshaft turns haft the speed of the crankshaft.

Thank you so very much. I knew that but over thought it and got cofused. I will blame it on my 66 birthday coming up in April.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you so very much. I knew that but over thought it and got cofused. I will blame it on my 66 birthday coming up in April.

I know what you mean, old age does it to you with a lot of things. I am 10 years older then you. The older you get the more pills you have to take and you can't reminder what you did yesterday. So join the old age club and enjoy your senior discounts. :thumbsup:

85harley

Threads
I know what you mean, old age does it to you with a lot of things. I am 10 years older then you. The older you get the more pills you have to take and you can't reminder what you did yesterday. So join the old age club and enjoy your senior discounts. :thumbsup:

I know what you are talking about, I have had a heart attack and take a handful of pills each day along with two or three each day for my diabetes. I am thinking I need to get one more pill, maybe a blue one. Have a great day.

Jack17

Threads
Go ahead and take the blue one but if (you know what) lasts more then 4 hours call your doctor right-away!!!:rolleyes: