lx188 ignition problem

lx188

Forum Newbie
Threads
My lx188 has an ignition problem, starter is good, solenoid is new, battery new, when u hook battery up the starter spins???? It doesn't turn the engine over, it just spins. Can I please get some help. I can change parts, but when it comes to electrical issues I'm lost.

Jack17

Threads
Does the Bendix move while you're doing this?

NorthBama

Threads
Battery connected correct polarity?

lx188

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes battery is on correctly.

lx188

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could it be a problem in the key switch?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could it be a problem in the key switch?

No.
take the blower housing off and have a look at what happens when the starter turns.
The small gear should rise up and engage with the flywheel teeth.
The gears loose teeth and the helix it rises on ( called the Bendix ) can also wear, jamb or break.

lx188

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is all
No.
take the blower housing off and have a look at what happens when the starter turns.
The small gear should rise up and engage with the flywheel teeth.
The gears loose teeth and the helix it rises on ( called the Bendix ) can also wear, jamb or break.

This is all happening when I connect the hot wire, not using the key or anything.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is all

This is all happening when I connect the hot wire, not using the key or anything.

OK are you saying if you hot wire directly from the battery to + terminal on the starter, it spins up properly and starts the engine
But when you use the key the starter spins but the gear does not engage with the flywheel.
I seem to lost as to exactly what the problem is.
Remember I can neither see nor hear what is happening.
You are my eyes & ears so explain things like you are describing it to a blind person.

lx188

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not using the key. When hot wire is connected to battery, not to starter, the starter spins. The bendix does not come up. The starter spins until you disconnect hot wire from battery.