John Deere XT140SE Edger - coil issue

SamD

Threads
Hello everyone! I came to this forum by way of a web search for a part for a John Deere stick edger. According to my local shop, it needs a new coil as the current coil is firing "out of time". The shop said the part was about $350 (far more than the value of the edger in fully working condition), so I thought I'd look for some other sources for the coil, JD part# PS10858

This edger has the bright yellow trim pieces / cowlings on it, and looks very similar to a Homelite PS3000 that I have as well. In fact, the edger heads are interchangeable between the two machines. So, I'm thinking that if I could verify who actually made the motor for JD, I could search for the coil without the stratospheric John Deere price.

Does anyone here have any information about the ability to cross-reference that JD part number above to the actual manufacturer of the motor so that I can find the coil for a reasonable amount of money? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Sam

Jack17

Threads
It's a Mitsubishi (MHI) 2-cycle engine.
But, if coil is firing OK (good spark) just out-of-time then I'd check the magnet on the back of the fly wheel and a key and key-way for damage first. It happened to me where the magnet "unglued" itself from the fly wheel causing out-of-time spark.

SamD

Threads
Thank you for the reply Jack. Wouldn't this be something that a repair shop should see doing their evaluation of the problem? The man I spoke with on the phone earlier said that the coil is basically a module, and that the spark is firing well ahead of the time it should fire. He said the electronics can get "off". If I have the problem you suggest, a new coil won't do any good, right? The flywheel and magnet will still be out of proper timing.

How did you repair your problem, re-glue the magnet to the flywheel and make sure that the key was properly engaged at the time of re-glue?

Sam

Jack17

Threads
To answer your questions...yes, yes and yes. There isn't much of the "electronics" there. If you get a spark...nothing wrong with the ignition module. And yes, when the magnet became unglued it left a ghost mark on the fly wheel and I just super glue it back where it belongs and everything was running again.

SamD

Threads
I just call the shop to offer up your suggestion since they still have my edger and two other items that are being finished, and here's what the tech said:

My flywheel and magnet are a single unit, as if they were cast together. He said he initially thought that the failure of the bond between the magnet and flywheel was the problem since the coil is, in fact, firing. He also mentioned that there were two coils listed for this edger. Perhaps the other coil is for the unit with a glued magnet/flywheel setup...

The one thing that doesn't make sense, however, is that he said there is a key/keyway as part of that assembly (the flywheel/magnet). If they are cast together, I'd think there would be no need for a key/keyway. I suppose I'll just have to put my eyes on it when I pick it up.

Any ideas on where to find a coil for this motor? My searches keep sending me to automotive applications...

Jack17

Threads
I'd pick it up to look into it myself before spending $350.

Anyway, before I go too far...Am I even looking at the right diagram:wink:? Do you mix gas with oil or not to run it?

SamD

Threads
Yes, it's a 2-cycle machine. The string trimmer version of my unit is model# XT140SB. My edger is model# XT140SE (sometimes I see it as XT140SELE). See photos attached for what mine looks like - images pulled from the web...AH9107C.JPGAH9107G.JPGAH9107F.JPG