23 hp vanguard oil leak

Wallers

Threads
This is my first post so thanks in advace. I have a 23hp Vanguard (386777 0122-E1) that is leaking oil on to the right/ driverside valve cover. There is a black hose going from the motor to a black plastic housing above the cover. That has oil on as well. I read online that too much oil could cause this or a scorched piston. I tried to attach a photo but I'm having issues so if more description is needed please let me know.

I'm also in search of a manual for the motor. I put the above number in the vanguard website and my motor didn't come up.

Thanks again for the help.

Wallers

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The pipe is the breather tube venting the crankcase gasses back into the carb so it should have a very small amount of oil in it.
Check your oil level.

If it is too high oil will be pumped through the pipe .
If the valve is blocked it will also leak oil.
If the head gasket is blown you will get a similar result and again with worn rings.
So how full is the oil?
How old ( hours ) is the engine?
what is it connected to ?
Does the engine run properly ? blow some smoke ? which colour ?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Wallers,
Older Vanguard engine info is under the Briggs & Stratton website. Recently Briggs separated the newer designed Vanguard engine line into its own division.
As you view the engine with the air filter housing between the cylinders, the L/H rocker cover has a short hose from it to the fuel pump. The fuel pump is a pulse type that uses the varying crankcase pressure to pulse the diaphragm in the fuel pump to supply fuel to the carb.
The R/H rocker cover has a crankcase ventilation valve installed in the top of it with a hose that goes to the air horn which connects the air filter to the carb. This directs crankcase vapors to enter the carb while the engine is running.
Questions:
Have you recently changed engine oil and filter?
What oil filter are you using on this engine?
How many hours are on this engine?
What maintenance has recently been done to this engine?

Last edited:

Tinkerer200

Threads
I can send you a Service Manual IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Wallers

Threads
The pipe is the breather tube venting the crankcase gasses back into the carb so it should have a very small amount of oil in it.
Check your oil level.

If it is too high oil will be pumped through the pipe .
If the valve is blocked it will also leak oil.
If the head gasket is blown you will get a similar result and again with worn rings.
So how full is the oil? I will confirm oil level this afternoon but I'm 99% sure it's good
How old ( hours ) is the engine? Has just over 300hrs
what is it connected to ? Scan tiger cub
Does the engine run properly ? blow some smoke ? which colour ?
the motor seems to be under powered compared to when I bought it. It does blow smoke it's black/ blue color.

Please see above for answers to your questions. Thank you

Wallers

Threads
Hi Wallers,
Older Vanguard engine info is under the Briggs & Stratton website. Recently Briggs separated the newer designed Vanguard engine line into its own division.
As you view the engine with the air filter housing between the cylinders, the L/H rocker cover has a short hose from it to the fuel pump. The fuel pump is a pulse type that uses the varying crankcase pressure to pulse the diaphragm in the fuel pump to supply fuel to the carb.
The R/H rocker cover has a crankcase ventilation valve installed in the top of it with a hose that goes to the air horn which connects the air filter to the carb. This directs crankcase vapors to enter the carb while the engine is running.
Questions:
Have you recently changed engine oil and filter? Yes, at 300hrs I changed the oil and filter.
What oil filter are you using on this engine? It's a Wixom filter I don't know the PN off hand
How many hours are on this engine? Just over 300hrs 320 maybe
What maintenance has recently been done to this engine?
other than oil filter, oil and air filter change nothing.

Thanks...

Wallers

Threads
That's the list of engines I got. The problem is my motor is a 23 hp vanguard.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That's the list of engines I got. The problem is my motor is a 23 hp vanguard.

The second manual that Mechanic Mark linked to is the Briggs shop service manual for your engine. Something you may want to check is to pull the valve covers off and check for bent pushrods. the Vanguards will on occasion bend a push rod due to no apparent reason that can be located.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull your plugs out .
Do not mix them up and pop a photo on the forum of the right & left plug with a note which one had the leaking oil