Can't start B&S 12f802

mownut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

My Briggs and Stratton 12f802 won't start and I've decided that I would like to learn about small engines, so I'm attempting to repair myself instead of taking it to the local repair shop. This is the first engine I've worked on - i'm learning by watching youtube videos...

I've replaced the spark plug, removed and cleaned the carburetor.

From what I can see so far, even with a new spark plug, i'm not getting a spark. I don't have a spark plug tester - I'm grounding the spark plug against the case and pulling the cord and can't see a spark. Is there a better way to test?

I thought it was as issue with the ignition coil - i've removed it and tested with a multimeter and get around 4.7k ohms - which is in the correct bounds working (2.5k -5k) - is 4.7k too high - should I replace anyway?

I can't see any physical damage to the flywheel, so I'm not sure what else it could be - unless the new spark plug is faulty which is unlikely..

Am i just not testing correclty? Anything else I should look at?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Test like you did before by grounding the spark plug on the engine but disconnect the kill wire that is attached to the module before retesting. If no fire, bad module, if you have fire, then something is grounding out the kill wire.

mownut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks,

I've tested with the ground wire both attached and disconnected with the same result... no spark.

I thought the ignition coil was still good, because I was getting resistance in the correct range on the multimeter. although it's at the top end of allowed values.

I've ordered a new one.. hopefully that will be the fix..

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it have a metal spark plug cap?

If so then that can cause a no spark issue. Pull cap off with hand. and check for spark then.
If it has spark then replace metal with like for like or fit a terminal and boot.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And try you testing in the dark , with an extra pair of eyes as at cranking speeds the spark is quite feint and hard to see in the day light.
I use a neon tube spark tester as the red neon is easy to see.
They are about $ 10 where as a coil is about $ 40 so a good investment.

the ignition module has a chip in there so measuring to coils resistance is useless.
The coils never ever fail.
The control modules fail and as they are potted inside the coil you have to replace a $ 40 part instead of a $ 10 part.
But it saves 5¢ worth of labour on assembly and a few $ in a lower inventory by having 1 less part.