A couple Lawn Boy questions ?

viperv10

Threads
Hi guys, I had a couple questions. I broke one of the thin fins off of my L21ZPN fly wheel. I was wondering if that was enough to throw the engine off balance
enough to be noticeable or harmful. Also the gas tank has some dirt and grass in it and was wondering if it was ok to spray it out with my garden hose to flush out the debris and let it drain out for awhile. I won't be mowing for a few weeks.
Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

2smoked

Threads
I am pretty sure that your gas tank is plastic. I have rinsed out the plastic tanks with a de-greaser detergent and water and then used a compressed air hose to thoroughly dry them out.

I have not had any experience with broken flywheel fins, but I would imagine that there would be some imbalance. For peace of mind, you may be able to find a good used flywheel off a donor mower--might even be able to find one for free.

parkboy

Threads
Hi guys, I had a couple questions. I broke one of the thin fins off of my L21ZPN fly wheel. I was wondering if that was enough to throw the engine off balance
enough to be noticeable or harmful. Also the gas tank has some dirt and grass in it and was wondering if it was ok to spray it out with my garden hose to flush out the debris and let it drain out for awhile. I won't be mowing for a few weeks.
Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

I suspect it will affect the balance of the engine. I know a guy who has a flywheel.

Parkboy

viperv10

Threads
Thank you guys for responding. I just ordered a fly wheel on e-bay for $15.00, to be on the safe side. Also had to order a new blade plate with tapered collar. It's a 1987 mower and the blade plate probably had never been off before. I soaked it with PB Blaster but it still didn't want to come off. I used a 3 hooked puller but the spot welds broke and the collar ring was still stuck. So I went to Auto Zone and borrowed a two pronged puller and finally got it off, with the help of a little heat from a torch. I was doing this to replace the rusted out muffler cover. Also checked the oil seals, cleaned the carb and put on a new fuel line. I'm doing some maintenance now on my Boys before mowing season gets here.
Take care and thank you again.
Jerry

robinb66

Threads
Actually there is an old mechanics trick that works far better than pb blaster and wd40 alltogether, Mix equal parts of acetone( not the nail polish straight acetone ) and transmission fluid. I've noticed it becoming very popular on youtube as of late as if it's actually a new thing but it's been around for years and works great!!!