917.273353 deck rebuild?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert- I never have heard of overlapping blades. You can't keep belt driven blades in time. No sorry, that's not right. There is a 1/8" gap between my 2 blade Zero, which is how I check then for running true etc.
Possibly this pic will explain how overlap is accomplished without the non timed blades beating themselves to death.

Attachments

• Capture ol.JPG
    Capture ol.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 9

Lawn Addict
Threads
SeniorCitizen- Thank You, Yes I understand that & my current Z & the many, many tractors before this have had that exact set-up. Yes they overlap in fore & aft rotation, but could NEVER hit each other.

As to the "Timed" cog belts, that is something I have never encountered. And I'm never too old to learn something new. So to Bert, Sir, I stand corrected, & learned something new.

Thanks All. :thumbsup:

primerbulb120

Threads
You're not alone, we all learn new things every day. :smile:

In my opinion, timed decks are a bad idea because of the safety issues they present. I'll stick with my standard deck ZTR. :thumbsup:

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're not alone, we all learn new things every day. :smile:

True, I seem to remember best the things that I have to first remove my foot from my mouth tho. :wink:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One of the important reason for teaching science is the way science treats FACTS
A fact is something that can be substaintaed by others and remains so till it is proved to be wrong.

Where as in economics , a fact is something that you manipulate the evidence to maintain its validity.

And yes the stronger you defend your misconseptions the more you will remember when you are proved to be wrong.

The day we stop learning is the day when all of our friends stand in a circle and throw handfulls of dirt on our coffin.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well stated Bert.

Txbiker

Threads
Just a quick update to my original post. Kinda went left for a few pages. I got a set of timkens from my local bearing supply so the deck is a lot quieter now. While the deck was off it got a thorough inspection and cleaning. Everything moves as it should on the deck now. The pulleys show some wear but not out of of tolerance yet. Reinstalled the reinforcement rings on the spindles no cracks on the mounting holes both deck or rings. I made sure the vents were clear and started the old dog up to begin the season. All I had to cut were a lot of weed so far but it was even and no uncut strip. Looking back to the beginning of this issue it seems the vents in the deck were clogged and not creating the proper vacuum on the shallow deck. The deck on my Snapper is over 2 inches deeper than the craftsman and the neighbors Deere is at least an inch or more. As the grass comes in and the weed in the back 40 I'll lower the deck a click or two and slow down a bit. Should have the problem cured plus keeping the deck cleaned after every cut. My parts for the 11hp briggs should be here next week so I'll have my Snapper up and running might just sell the craftsman after that and invest in the rest of the small stuff for the sr930.

Jack17

Threads
Very nice! Job well done!:thumbsup: