Scag Liberty Z opinions?

Homer1

Threads
The Liberty is a fantastic mower. It is a high performance homeowner rig or entry level commercial. It is built tough with a great warranty, and it cuts beautifully. I looked these over pretty hard myself prior to choosing a really good deal on the Freedom Z at the time. If I were buying one, I would probably go with the Kawasaki engine myself, if given the option for sure.

I do know someone locally who mows several yards and his own with this unit and he has nothing but good things to say. He chose the Kawasaki option. He said it has power to spare and is a workhorse.

When compared with most other mowers in it's category, I would pick the liberty over about all others. I am however, somewhat biased.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't get me wrong, I really like my Toro Kaw powered Z, but if local Dealer actually had a new Liberty Z to see up close & personal, I would have to go scope it out.

They tell me the Liberty is not a seller, But they mainly focus on commercial units.

War Eagle

Threads
Has anyone tried to mount a suspension seat on a Liberty Z? Several commercial mowers have told me the suspension seat option was the best $500 they ever spent.

War Eagle

Threads

mhavanti

Threads
When I went to their site, researched it, yes it will fit. I've seen several of these on z-turns and they work great. Researched some seats in stores, they are made pretty much all the same.

War Eagle

Threads
When I went to their site, researched it, yes it will fit. I've seen several of these on z-turns and they work great. Researched some seats in stores, they are made pretty much all the same.
Thanks! That looks like a great possibility. My wife enjoys mowing, too, so in addition to the suspension, we also want the forward/back seat adjustment feature not obviously offered in the K&M product noted previously. But just out of curiosity, I'll keep looking around for other seats that are both suspension and forward/back adjustable - knowing that the Scag seat is doable. Thanks again.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The suspension seat connects to the forward backward seat adjuster. It uses the factory seat bracket.

War Eagle

Threads
The suspension seat connects to the forward backward seat adjuster. It uses the factory seat bracket.
My wife and I did an up close and personal look at a Liberty Z just last week, and the seat on the one we looked at had zero adjustments. We looked specifically for a seat adjustment so both of us would be comfortable operating it (I'm 6', she's 5' 4"). And from what we saw, the seat base was bolted directly to the hinge plate (with slots for adjusting the bolt placement, but who wants to change placement of four bolts every time you swap drivers?) that tips forward to give access to the area under the seat. Other owners - did we miss some discreetly hidden adjustment mechanism? All the other Scag models we looked at had obvious levers for sliding the seat forward and back, but not the Liberty Z. If there is a lever for adjusting the stock seat on a Liberty Z forward and back, please send a photo. Perhaps the dealer had temporarily "borrowed" the slide mechanism from the unit we looked at. Inquiring minds want to know! I'd go look again, and ask more specific questions, but the dealer is 30 miles away, and we're still getting a little backlash from Irma here. Thanks....

Last edited:

Own Goal

Threads
I've had mine since June '16. I love it, when it's running. Past two months I've had it long enough to mow only once. It's still in the shop now. Had to buy a push mower to end the season. Still in the shop. Second machine I've had with a Kohler but I'd say pay extra for a Kawasaki engine. I'd also STRONGLY qualify your dealer. I've bought 4 Stihl machines plus the Scag from the same dealer. I ever get my mower back they will never see me again.