Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mower
    LTX1050VT

Re: New Zero Turn? Need help!

So, I have decided on going with the Ariens iKon X-52, simply because it offers far more features and what appears to be a sturdier deck than the Toro. I would spend nearly all of the $400 cost difference to get the Toro to have some of the basic features like arm rests, hour meter, rubber floor mat and still be cutting 10" less per pass and not have the rather nice deck lift assist for quickly clearing debris and obstacles beneath. Now comes the fun part, which engine? The Kawasaki (FR691V) is what I have priced out at $2999 but for $100 less I can go with the Kohler (KT735). Now while I know that the auto choke on the Kohler is something that has given few a problem, it cannot be all that bad. And with HP and TQ ratings within 1 unit of measure apart, does it really matter. I guess I am just looking for proof, evidence, testimony or what not to support spending the extra $100 for an engine with slightly less power. Please help! Thank you.

Mower
    Gravely, Toro, Honda

It's sort of a toss up from what I've heard. I would probably go for the Kawasaki, but I'm a commercial user so my mowers see more use than yours will.

The FX600V on my ZTR has about 400 hours on it. Cold or hot, it takes less than a second of cranking to start it. Starts faster than my truck does.

I'm not a fan of autochokes. More stuff to break.

If I were you, I would pick the Kawasaki but the Kohler should work just as well for your needs. Not much help, am I

Mower
    LTX1050VT

Quote Originally Posted by primerbulb120 View Post
    It's sort of a toss up from what I've heard. I would probably go for the Kawasaki, but I'm a commercial user so my mowers see more use than yours will.

The FX600V on my ZTR has about 400 hours on it. Cold or hot, it takes less than a second of cranking to start it. Starts faster than my truck does.

I'm not a fan of autochokes. More stuff to break.

If I were you, I would pick the Kawasaki but the Kohler should work just as well for your needs. Not much help, am I
    I think that the auto choke is not necessarily the weakest point in that engine out any others. My Honda mower has auto choke and it is going on it's 8 year without any issues. I would bet that I have at least 300 hours on it. But, that's a Honda and I am completely biased to them. Regardless, a mechanical choke should work every time and when it doesn't, it should be an easy fix. I am heading out today to test drive a few mowers, one being the Gravely ZT X which is is the closest one to what I want. I figured I would take the Hustler for a spin just for comparison. I will let you know how things go.

Mower
    Gravely, Toro, Honda

With an autochoke engine, you have to let the engine warm up before you shut it down. If you run it for a minute, shut it down and try to start it again the choke will still be on and it will flood.

Interesting about your Honda mower. My first one had a faulty autochoke from day one and I had to pull the air filter and poke the choke plate to make it go off. All the rest of my Hondas have had manual choke.