New Zero Turn? Need help!

cruzenmike

Threads
Hello all. I am in the market for a new zero turn mower. I bought a 2009 Cub Cadet LTX1050VT last year after purchasing a house on 3 acres (~1.5 of which is grass). At the time I could only afford something used, hence the "dated" cub cadet. Between a major deck failure during my first mow and seeing how long it was taking to get around the many obstacles in my yard, I have decided to get something new and better suited for my situation. I recently owned a Toro SS4225 with recycler, armrests and rubber mat which performed well on my 1/3 acre lot but unfortunately I had to give it up before I moved. I had considered the same model, but 42" seems quite small for my yard. Here are my choices for the new mower:

Ariens iKon X-52 (Kawasaki) -$2999
-52" fabricated deck
-padded seat with arm rests
-hour meter
-deck lift assist
-Hydrogear EZTs
-17,000 fpm blade tip speed

Hustler Raptor Limited (Kawasaki) - $3299
-52" fabricated deck
-armrests
-upgraded tires (wider)
-Hydrogear EZTs
-16,600 fpm blade tip speed

Cub Cadet RZT L 46H (Honda) - $3299
-46" fabricated deck
-Honda engine
-hour meter with Bluetooth connectivity
-larger front tires
-17,500 pfm blade tip speed

Another Toro SS4225 (Kohler) - $2700 as equipped
-42" stamped deck
-recycler kit
-hour meter
-arm rests
-rubber mat
-17,800 fpm blade tip speed

I am trying to keep to around $3,000 but am willing to spend slightly more if the mower has significant improvements over these such as serviceable hydrostatics or a better engine. At the least I was hoping someone here at some experience with the two 52" models I have listed and can chime in on engine noise, cut performance, smoothness of drivetrain and overall durability. Thank you in advance for your help or suggestions.

Mike

Last edited:

mowerman05

Threads
Love the Kawasaki on my John Deere, has not let me down yet. Good luck with whatever mower you decide on.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Love my Kawasaki on my Toro 4260 too.

Might check with your Toro Dealer & see if they have any left over ZX4800 models, these are a discontinued 2016 model, but the price was $3500, for a $5400 machine. :thumbsup: All servicable w/3100 EZ Hydros.

I think they also had ZX5400 models as well, for big discount. Nothing wrong with them, just making room for newer models.

cruzenmike

Threads
Love the Kawasaki on my John Deere, has not let me down yet. Good luck with whatever mower you decide on.

To be honest, I have never considered the Kawasaki until recently. I was using an HRX217 push mower and HS720 snow blower, both Honda units and thrilled with their performance and ease of use. The Cub Cadet has a Briggs ELS which seems to be somewhat quiet but I have already experienced the power surge/governor issue with the carb seals (which I plan to rebuild this summer). As for Kohler, my grandfather always swore by them and never had an issue over 20+ years of using them; I will admit he was meticulous with his maintenance, which will help with any motor for that matter. I won't say that whatever I buy has to be a Kawasaki, but seeing as they have proven themselves in the commercial units and very few reports of issues, I am leaning more towards them. Thanks for the advice.

Mike

cruzenmike

Threads
Love my Kawasaki on my Toro 4260 too.

Might check with your Toro Dealer & see if they have any left over ZX4800 models, these are a discontinued 2016 model, but the price was $3500, for a $5400 machine. :thumbsup: All servicable w/3100 EZ Hydros.

I think they also had ZX5400 models as well, for big discount. Nothing wrong with them, just making room for newer models.

Unfortunately Toro has gotten away from Kawasaki engines in most of their lineup. Instead they went to LCT single and v-twin engines that I have not seen a lot of information on. As for the rest of their lineup, with the exception of the new MX5025, you can get either the SS4225 or the MX5050 with the Kohler 7000. I haven't considered the Titan or "commercial" mowers much simply because of price, but I will at least call my closest 20 dealers this morning and see if I can find a ZX4800 (74851) model left over from last year. If their pricing is as you stated, that would be the money shot. If not available, I am kind of in the same boat as I was when I posted yesterday..... Thank you for your advice.

Mike

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good luck with that, hope you score. That is an awesome deal.

My 2014 Toro 4260 was last year for Kaw in a Timecutter. Toro has their own brand engine, I don't know much about that one tho. Kohler is an awesome engine as well.

cruzenmike

Threads
Good luck with that, hope you score. That is an awesome deal.

My 2014 Toro 4260 was last year for Kaw in a Timecutter. Toro has their own brand engine, I don't know much about that one tho. Kohler is an awesome engine as well.

When I had the 4225 I really didn't have any gripes with it, just thought it was a bit loud. I know that Kohler talks about their "consistent cut technology" that I assume has a lot to do with how it keeps or hold the torque at peak level when under a load. Regardless it may just be splitting hairs when trying to compare two engine that are on the lower end of the price/quality whereas the FX or Confidant may be noticeably better than their subordinates.

My biggest struggle is that I tend to over-analyze things and often fixate on certain things. First it was trying to determine the best setup for real recycling (baffles/blocked chute vs. gator or x blades), and then it was blade tip speed which it appears as if the number is far less important that some may make it seem. Now it is the engine manufacturer; of which I would love to see a Honda GX690 in a mower other than the Cub Cadet. I think at the end of the day I may end up spending a bit more than I originally wanted to.

Oh, and as a last comment, I did call all of the local dealers and I cannot get the last years Titan with the Kawasaki engine. BUT..... I can get a new model with the 21HP Kohler Confidant for about $4299 which is $1100 off of the MSRP. I think at that point I would be looking into other commercial mowers that have similar features and specs.

Mike

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mike- Not sure I would categorize the Confidant as superior. It's a recently new engine for Kohler, & unless it is Kohler's top Commercial Engines, which the Confidant is not, it is likely made in china. Go to Kohlers site, & see it is NOT listed as Commercial. Kohler had that one whipped out to try & keep up with demand, since the Kaws are now only on upper level mowers. And have a back order for them.

As to the new model Titan (MX) with only a 21hp Confidant, I'd suggest you test ride one at your Dealers. They weigh about 750lbs (approx) & have slightly less power than my 495 lbs Timecutter 4260.

That's why I did NOT buy a ZX4800, overweight imo for the power. Price was great, but it needs a bit more hp. Least that was my conclusion after I tested one thoroughly.

cruzenmike

Threads
Mike- Not sure I would categorize the Confidant as superior. It's a recently new engine for Kohler, & unless it is Kohler's top Commercial Engines, which the Confidant is not, it is likely made in china. Go to Kohlers site, & see it is NOT listed as Commercial. Kohler had that one whipped out to try & keep up with demand, since the Kaws are now only on upper level mowers. And have a back order for them.

As to the new model Titan (MX) with only a 21hp Confidant, I'd suggest you test ride one at your Dealers. They weigh about 750lbs (approx) & have slightly less power than my 495 lbs Timecutter 4260.

That's why I did NOT buy a ZX4800, overweight imo for the power. Price was great, but it needs a bit more hp. Least that was my conclusion after I tested one thoroughly.

I get what you are saying about the zx4800 having a lack of power in a significantly heavier machine. As for the engines, If I implied one being superior, I just meant it in regards to Kohler making two engines and one having a better air cleaner system than the other. Toro does list the Confidant as being "commercial" on their site, but it may just marketing at play. Since I cannot really afford anything with a truly commercial engine I will just have to stick to those available in my price range; Kohler 7000, Kawasaki FS691V, Briggs ELS or Honda GX690. To be honest, I have only considered the Cub Cadet just because of the Honda engine, but more and more I read, the unit itself isn't that great. At the time (2015), I chose my SS4225 just because of the Kohler engine and the luck my grandfather had with Kohlers in the past. Now, I can see that engine choice is a much debated topic. I do appreciate your advice as these decisions are far from easy. There is a Hustler dealer nearby and they have a Raptor Limited in stock so I would like to go drive it. Unfortunately, there are no Ariens dealerships around for me to test drive the iKon X. I could maybe try to test drive the Gravely ZT X which is almost identical. I hope to have this figured out sometime soon before the weather changes.

Mike

Lawn Addict
Threads
The ZX4800 has power, just comparing it to my lightweight 4260, it's a very noticable diff. I wanted to up-grade to a ZX for the price, till I test drove it, but when my Toro Dealer wanted my 4260 for his personal mower, I thought, WHoa !! Pump the brakes, what I have is plenty for my use, & if my Dealer wants mine, I think I'll just keep it. He knows I'm very anal about the upkeep of my stuff. Plus I wax my mower each year end after I service it.

I'm very obsessive about details as well. So I research till my brain hurts :laughing:.

Perhaps I took your comment the wrong way. (my bad). Yes Toro does have the Confidant listed as Commercial, but my Toro Dealer says that is just hype.The Kohler site confirmed that. It does have a good air filter design.

Here in TN I have a friend that works at my Toro Dealership, he tells me that a couple Confidants came back in blown up, he said that the RPM's were set too high, according to Kohler.

I'm glad I took my time to get my Z, Hope you find exactly what you are wanting.