2 Briggs V-Twin questions

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have always had to choke my B&S V-Twin 26hp to start , even when it is warmed up.
So. I cleaned/rebuilt the Nikki 2bbl carb.
Still needs to be choked to start, even when it has been running for a while.
Any suggestions as to what to look for?

During the rebuild process, I the 2 main jets fell out of the emulsification tube.(New O-rings needed, I suppose.)
I'm not the first one that has ever happened to.........
I have searched the forum to find out which jet goes where, as I understand that they are different.
No answer was ever given.
So, I ask anew: how does one tell which jet goes where??

Thanks.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Start with model, type and code off of engine and try parts list or workshop manual.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Start with model, type and code off of engine and try parts list or workshop manual.

The parts manual gives item #'s 117 and 117A.
There are part #'s but no way to tell which one of mine is which;
they don't give jet sizes...........

How poorly will it run with the jets reversed?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
From what little information that I can dig up. It appears the jet with the smaller number should go to the number 1 cylinder, which is the one closest to the flywheel, normally located on the left side of the engine if looking at the heads.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
From what little information that I can dig up. It appears the jet with the smaller number should go to the number 1 cylinder, which is the one closest to the flywheel, normally located on the left side of the engine if looking at the heads.

The cylinder you indicate is indeed the uppermost of the 2 cylinders.
(However, B&S labels it as the Right cylinder, according to markings on the carb casting.)
It makes sense that that one would get the smaller jet, as it may get cooled a bit better being closer to the flywheel.
In a V-twin motorcycle, the front cylinder, getting cooled better by being in front, gets the smaller jet.
The rear cyl gets the fatter jet to provide a richer mixture, offering more cooling.

Now, to determine which is which.
They drop down from the transfer tube and rub on the plastic part below, removing some information punched into the rim.

ed. Using the brightest light, and the most powerful magnifying glass I have, I THINK I read the following:
Jet #1 .114
Jet #2 .111

I'll give that a shot.

I had other used jets, and the engine is running seemingly fine with them installed the whatever way I did it, a 50% chance
of having done it correctly.
But, the o-rings on them are shot.
I'll take a look when the new jet o-rings arrive.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you stood the engine up on its tail and you were looking at the flywheel the number 1 would be on the right cylinder.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you stood the engine up on its tail and you were looking at the flywheel the number 1 would be on the right cylinder.

I accept that just fine.
That agrees with the orientation cast into the carb casting, the left and right cylinders are as viewed from the driver's seat.

At any rate. I will be orientating the jets so that the .111 supplies the Right cylinder, and the .114 does the Left.

Thanks.