2 Briggs V-Twin questions

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thought your carb was same as mine...guess not ..... I tried to find info on a carb with 2 jets ... NOT this year !!!
anyway .. did a lil kickin around, came up with this manual, dont know if it's your engine type but it if you look on pages 12 & 13 of carb parts you will find many different jets.... item # 117 thru 118 ...Sorry I wasn't much help .. :frown::frown::frown: .. Boobala

............http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/18mnCFXRnfBhU7y.pdf

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thought your carb was same as mine...guess not ..... I tried to find info on a carb with 2 jets ... NOT this year !!!
anyway .. did a lil kickin around, came up with this manual, dont know if it's your engine type but it if you look on pages 12 & 13 of carb parts you will find many different jets.... item # 117 thru 118 ...Sorry I wasn't much help .. :frown::frown::frown: .. Boobala

Engine is mod. 446777
type 0316 E1

There are part numbers for the jets readily available, but nowhere can I find the sizes.........
Since the part #'s are not stamped into the jets, I need the sizes, which are stamped into the jets.

I have, with great effort, read the numbers 111 and 114 on the two jets (if there was a decimal point, it has worn off.)
Due to the lack of any information to the contrary, I have to conclude that the 111 is the smaller jet, to be installed on the right cyl,
and you can guess about the other............

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
From what little information that I can dig up. It appears the jet with the smaller number should go to the number 1 cylinder, which is the one closest to the flywheel, normally located on the left side of the engine if looking at the heads.

I found this video:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...43E1F1410E483B2CD2F943E1F&fsscr=0&FORM=VDMCNL

It is VERY informative, but gives jet/cylinder that contradicts logic and the information you provide.
See the 3:45 mark

Now, as usual, I am confused again.............

Last edited:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

My carb is she same as one of the ones in that video which you originally linked.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/...-twin_carb.asp
I say one of them because they show 2 different carbs: one with the white transfer tube and 2 jets,
the other with the black transfer tube which has the main jet in the brass nozzle at the bottom of the carb (like their cutaway pic)
that is considerably different from mine. I actually have one of those laying around and may give it a try. but I think it may have been from
an engine of lower horsepower. That may either run lean or limit my HP.

So, now you know as much as me........

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I found this video:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...43E1F1410E483B2CD2F943E1F&fsscr=0&FORM=VDMCNL

It is VERY informative, but gives jet/cylinder that contradicts logic and the information you provide.
See the 2:45 mark

Now, as usual, I am confused again.............

Where the confusion lies is Briggs refers to the L on the carb as cylinder #1 and the R side of carb as cylinder #2 in the manual I found dealing with a different engine, but the only one that talks about jet location. But on your engine the L on carb is cylinder #2 and the R on carb is cylinder #1. I did find one example on an engine were the big jet was on the L and the small jet was on the R

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Where the confusion lies is Briggs refers to the L on the carb as cylinder #1 and the R side of carb as cylinder #2 in the manual I found dealing with a different engine, but the only one that talks about jet location. But on your engine the L on carb is cylinder #2 and the R on carb is cylinder #1. I did find one example on an engine were the big jet was on the L and the small jet was on the R

The video only uses the L/R terminology.

Do I consider their jet orientation to be correct?

I am attempting to discuss with B&S, but as of this time, they have not contacted me back............

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, all the technicians that acknowledge that the two jets ARE different (and, opinions vary on that...)
pretty much agree that the larger jet is for the right (passenger side) cyl and the smaller goes to the left.

Somewhat counter-intuitive, but that is the way the techs say they go...........

BTW......I received a reply from B&S, and they indicated that they cold not help me.
They designed it, but they apparently have no records as to how............

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

From looking at the picture of a bare block, the #1 cylinder is on the "passenger" side which is the cylinder indicated by the "R" on the carb.
(and, of course, vice versa for the left cyl.) It goes without saying, but I just HAD to say it.........I'm just sayin'

And the polling of mechanics is unanimous......the larger jet is for the #1,right, passenger side cylinder.

Whew !! This has been exhausting!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I say.. BULLXXXX on these Dip-sheets at Briggs, I think 1/2 ..NO.. 4/5 of these so called engineers are just trying to keep their jobs during these times of cut-backs, they come up with some off-the -wall sheet and convince upper management that they have "just" created a new item or way of doing something.

I cant believe they leave EVERYBODY in the dark, no service bulletins ??... no addendums for the service manuals..??
no dealers service bulletins ... right there tells me ... SOMEONE !! has got their head inside, of where you would use Preparation H for an aggravating situation !!! In this day of INSTANT communication, digital photos, and everything
almost conveyed instantly... I cannot see any plausible excuse for the lack of information about the changes to this
model carburetor. ............:smiley_aafz: ..:thumbdown:..

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I say.. BULLXXXX on these Dip-sheets at Briggs, I think 1/2 ..NO.. 4/5 of these so called engineers are just trying to keep their jobs during these times of cut-backs, they come up with some off-the -wall sheet and convince upper management that they have "just" created a new item or way of doing something.

I cant believe they leave EVERYBODY in the dark, no service bulletins ??... no addendums for the service manuals..??
no dealers service bulletins ... right there tells me ... SOMEONE !! has got their head inside, of where you would use Preparation H for an aggravating situation !!! In this day of INSTANT communication, digital photos, and everything
almost conveyed instantly... I cannot see any plausible excuse for the lack of information about the changes to this
model carburetor. ............:smiley_aafz: ..:thumbdown:..

Please tell us how you really feel......

Anyway, I responded t B&S with the sarcastic note I put at the end of a prior post..they designed and made it, but can't tell me how..
That prompted the lower-level email routine denialist to "escalate my request" to someone up the ladder. Interesting...
We'll see what happens next.
Stay tuned...........