Tecumseh 9HP

mega1944

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Ariens snowthrower, with a Tecumseh 9 HP engine. The machine is about 10 yrs old and and has been religiously maintained.
The engine has an electric start and starts without any problem. In the last few outings however, when the machine is under load, even at the slowest speed, as soon as it comes to a substantial amount of snow, the governor will kick in, but within 10-15 seconds, the engine will die. It starts again immediately, but the only way I seem to be able to complete a pass without the problem occurring is if I take a smaller cut of snow. I have also noticed a "popping" noise when the engine is warming up, or idling without load, so I'm thinking either bad gas or a carb adjustment. I don't think its the governor since that does seem to kick in, at least for awhile. After the engine is warmed up, and when it's about to die on me, choking it does not help, so, the problem can't be a gas restriction, right? Not totally sure I know what I'm talking about here, so if any of these assumptions are flat out wrong, I certainly would appreciate it if someone could help.
Thanks in advance.
Mart

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You could have some valve clearance issues which would cause some popping. You could have a fuel restriction between the tank and the float valve. Not enough gas running into the carb to keep up with the demand of the engine under load.

mega1944

Forum Newbie
Threads
You could have some valve clearance issues which would cause some popping. You could have a fuel restriction between the tank and the float valve. Not enough gas running into the carb to keep up with the demand of the engine under load.

Problem number one means a mechanic, but if I just pull the fuel line off of the carb, flow or no flow out of it will tell me if I have a restriction, right? By the way, thanks for the prompt response.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Testing the flow from the fuel line is just one part. there could still be something inside the carb that is restricting flow.