Blades Spindle problem

houstad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a MTD yard machine (MTD model 607) that I have owned from day 1. The other day I went to remove the blades and the entire bolt spun but the blade didn't move. I had the blade blocked as usual and used my 1/2 socket on a breaker bar that I use just for this purpose. I have removed the deck and cleaned it to get it ready for repairs. Before I get into things I thought I would ask your opinions on what to look for? Thanks all for your help.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look at the other blade disassembled and if the blade drive looks like the one pictured, the one you can't get apart is shot. Buy a new assembly.

Attachments

• Capture AA.JPG
    Capture AA.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 6

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take the pulley off so you can install it on the new spindle you buy.

I take my pulleys nuts off with a 2x4 impactor either impacting the end of a breaker bar or good long sturdy box wrench.

For safety I tether the wrench.

Attachments

• John Deere pulley impact deck 2011.JPG
    John Deere pulley impact deck 2011.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Threads
Take the pulley off so you can install it on the new spindle you buy.

I take my pulleys nuts off with a 2x4 impactor either impacting the end of a breaker bar or good long sturdy box wrench.

For safety I tether the wrench.

By far the best way is an impact gun.
Saves a lot of grief and skinned knuckles, ask me how I know!
No Don't!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Use an impact wrench (as mentioned earlier) either electric or pneumatic.... to get the pulley nut off ,then install 2 nuts on the shaft where pulley was.. locking 1 against the other, hold the bottom nut secure...
( wrench ) then use the impact to remove blade nut ... use anti-seize compound when installing nuts on the shaft ...next time around . :biggrin:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
By far the best way is an impact gun.
Saves a lot of grief and skinned knuckles.

I agree 100%. I do know from experience. Yes the 2X4 impactor works also if you don't own a impact gun or out in the field.