My "Phantom Mower", ugliest mower ever, turns out to be a Savage Rotor Chief

TeddyB

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / My "Phantom Mower", ugliest mower ever, turns out to be a Savage Rotor Chief
My "Phantom Mower", ugliest mower ever, turns out to be a Savage Rotor Chief

Hi, I'm Ted B and live in Mount Desert, Maine. I collect stuff -old boats, stationary and outboard motors, etc. Twenty-two years ago we moved here and I needed a part for log splitter. Local Haines Mower Shop, was the place to go and Blaine Haynes was the very skilled proprietor. What a collection of "Stuff" he had. As I wandered through aisles and heaps of old outdoor power equipment, either in dead storage (he lost the owner's tag) or waiting to be repaired, I noticed this old riding mower.

It had to be the ugliest piece of equipment I'd ever run into, including a number of weird military vehicles I restored. I seem to fall for the orphans. I tripped over the "Phantom" for 17 years, never asking if he'd part with it. We struck a deal! Ted got the mower and Blaine got a new welding torch. Now I was able to trip over it at home! About 3 years ago I began its restoration. First purchase, new tires so I could at least push it around. I began dis-assembly. It had a Clinton engine on it, but as luck would have it, a cable obliterated the model and serial numbers on the data plate. I sent the carb out for a rebuild. When it returned we checked the crankcase, which had the requisite level of vintage oil in it. We put fresh gas in the tank - the old Clinton started on the second pull - whoopee! Fresh crankcase oil became the rest of the engine restoration. Not knowing who made the beast I took numerous images as we took it apart. Now, how could I get all those rusting pieces without spending a ton of money? Just off Mt. Desert island is a place called Metal Magic and its owner was Ed Libitzki. I'd become friends (and a customer) years ago, having both of us collecting high-wheel bicycles. Ed knew I had an old ground powered orchid sprayer that he coveted. He got the sprayer, the "Phantom's" parts were sandblasted and painted. Other than the tires, still no money had been exchanged.

We reassembled the beast using the multitude of images I'd taken. Gee - it looked good, but what was it. My first attempts at getting help on the internet were a dismal failure. I tried again and reached Jim Ricci at the reel mower site. He identified it as a Savage Roto Mower and put me in contact with Dave Arrighi and his Facebook page "Vintage Riding Lawn Mowers". I was on my way - at last! Through Dave I received pdfs of press releases, the Instructions Assembly - Operation - Care of the Model 10T along with a source for decals. Truly the mother lode! Can't wait for the spring to come and show it off.

Attachments

• Rear as found.jpg
    Rear as found.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Right side as received.jpg
    Right side as received.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 19
  • From the front as received.jpg
    From the front as received.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Clinton data plate.jpg
    Clinton data plate.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 14
  • To metal magic.jpg
    To metal magic.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5457.JPG
    IMG_5457.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5462.JPG
    IMG_5462.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5466.JPG
    IMG_5466.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 22

RDA.Lawns

Threads
  • / My "Phantom Mower", ugliest mower ever, turns out to be a Savage Rotor Chief
Looks great.. Maybe you can take it to some shows.. Nice work

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: My "Phantom Mower", ugliest mower ever, turns out to be a Savage Rotor Chief

Sweet!!!

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: My "Phantom Mower", ugliest mower ever, turns out to be a Savage Rotor Chief

A-Yup, thet looks wicked good t'me!

Ya find the damnedest things upta Maine..

Roger B

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads

:welcome:
Welcome to the forum.
Nice project!