briggs coil

fran

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi, can someone help , i need a new coil. but i am just getting confused with the right one for my engine
the code on the engine is 130232 1163-01-81082407
there seems to a few which have been updated and am unsure which to get prefer a cheap one as it was a freebee engine.
it still has points in and would like to keep it that way .
thanks in advance for any help.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
397358 You will be looking at around 50 US dollars. Not cheep but parts aren't for any engine. Maybe you can find a used one, E bay?

fran

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for prompt replies ,
now ive got the item number i will have a proper look around many thanks.

fran

Forum Newbie
Threads
just had a look at the one in the link and it dosen't have the same wires .
mine has 2 thin wires from the coil to the condenser and a wire with a loop on it that i think is a ground wire that goes from the coil to a bolt that holds the coil in place.
so i;m guessing the tab on the new coil uses a new wire and goes to the condenser ?
and the ground wire is not needed ?
cheers .
postage is unfortunately rather expensive so looks like its going to be one from china . never seems to add up to me but guess thats the way the world works .

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs discontinued the ignition module for the point system about 2-3 years ago. the one on ebay is the new electronic ignition module. You may be able to find the one for the point type systems aftermarket, but may be hard to locate.

Tinkerer200

Threads
These coils seldom fail, are you sure it is the coil or the condenser? I would look for a used coil at a small shop which has been in business for years.

Walt Conner

fran

Forum Newbie
Threads
yep , have replaced points with new ones.
one of the small wires was broken so re-soldered it , plugs new
so if i go with the new one where does the tab go to ?
is it the stop wire ?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The tab on the side is the stop wire. You don't need any of the wires that go under the flywheel. When I get on in with a bad module, meaning swelled with rust to double the thickness. I unbolt the module grab it and pull the wires out from under the flywheel because you don't need them and saves time from having to pull the flywheel. If you remove the points you have to install a plug into the hole where the plunger was.