Briggs 195432

firemannikola

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I have problem with briggs vertical engine. Engine is rebuilted new piston rings, valves grinded, gaskets replaced. Stating like a dream but wehen it starts huge amout of white smoke coming from muffler and oil is spiting from exhaust. He losses 100ml oil for 20min of work. When I take off head there is a lot of oil on top of piston and in intake and exhaust chamber. Engine breadher works fine no oil in breather pipe and carb.
Sorry for bad english

RDA.Lawns

Threads
About 3 or maybe 4 possible issues. New rings. Did you hone the cylinder walls? Is the ring gaps opposite of each other. Is the cylinder walls round and in specs of the piston. Also could be a head gasket. You can't simply just put rings in and not check cylinder walls.Or hone cylinder.

firemannikola

Forum Newbie
Threads
About 3 or maybe 4 possible issues. New rings. Did you hone the cylinder walls? Is the ring gaps opposite of each other. Is the cylinder walls round and in specs of the piston. Also could be a head gasket. You can't simply just put rings in and not check cylinder walls.Or hone cylinder.

yes cylinder is honed, rings are oposite and it's not gasket all gaskets are new and its not OHV engine. This is not first engine I rebuilt but first time I face with this kind of problem. One thing come to my mind as you said ''cylinder walls''. Engine was rebuilded because he had no oil and camshaft broke. Is there some kind of test to determine whethever it spore oil through intake valve or cylinder
thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
yes cylinder is honed, rings are oposite and it's not gasket all gaskets are new and its not OHV engine. This is not first engine I rebuilt but first time I face with this kind of problem. One thing come to my mind as you said ''cylinder walls''. Engine was rebuilded because he had no oil and camshaft broke. Is there some kind of test to determine whethever it spore oil through intake valve or cylinder
thanks

Quick & dirty method is to pop a ring square into the cylinder and hold it up to the light, moving down the bore in 1.4" incriments.
Check for light between the ring & barrel wall, also measure the ring gap at each step

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I'm thinking the cylinder wall is worn past tolerance for a good ring seal. It could be scored bad from running it out of oil

firemannikola

Forum Newbie
Threads
Top of piston is clean its not carbonated, with a lot of clean oil and a lot of oil in intake chamber. 0:50-1:35 this amount of white smoke. After several minutes smoke reduces and spiting oil through muffel stops. Then I shut down engine and after few minutes starts again and there is smoke again. Totaly confused. Tomorow I'll sepatere engine again and check if cylinder have oval shape and measure bore.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Top of piston is clean its not carbonated, with a lot of clean oil and a lot of oil in intake chamber. 0:50-1:35 this amount of white smoke. After several minutes smoke reduces and spiting oil through muffel stops. Then I shut down engine and after few minutes starts again and there is smoke again. Totaly confused. Tomorow I'll sepatere engine again and check if cylinder have oval shape and measure bore.

Another chep trick it to start the engine, hold on to the govenor and SLOWLY brings the revs up to around 4000 rpm.
While you do this watch the exhaust.
Then shut down the throttle fairly quickly.

When was the smoke worst, during acceleration or during deceleration.

firemannikola

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another chep trick it to start the engine, hold on to the govenor and SLOWLY brings the revs up to around 4000 rpm.
While you do this watch the exhaust.
Then shut down the throttle fairly quickly.

When was the smoke worst, during acceleration or during deceleration.

What would that tell to me

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What would that tell to me

Smokes worst on acceleration, throttle wide open = rings
Worst on deceleration = valve guides

However reading what you said a second time sounds like the engine was tipped over on the carb side, the crank was grossly overfilled or the drain from the valve chest is blocked.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Smokes worst on acceleration, throttle wide open = rings
Worst on deceleration = valve guides

However reading what you said a second time sounds like the engine was tipped over on the carb side, the crank was grossly overfilled or the drain from the valve chest is blocked.

OR carb float needle leaked filling crankcase with gasoline, have you re-checked oil level? Never heard of low/no oil resulting in broken camshaft unless rod broke and smashed it in which case, crankshaft damage as well as camshaft bearing towers.

Walt Conner