Residential Zero Turn On Slope

Captain Slow

Threads
Hello all. I'm shopping for a residential zero turn (maybe) for my property. I have never driven one. My property has a smidge over an acre of somewhat rough and very much not square mowable yard with lots of things to go around, thus my wanting a zero turn. The yard does slope, mostly under 10 degrees but a few spots close to 15 degrees. I don't mow in the wet generally for what that's worth.

I'm mostly looking at the cub cadet RZT and the Husqvarna Z24X models with the smallest fabricated decks available. Also the cub cadet z force might be in the running if you can convince me it's worth it as a little bit of a budget stretch.

Cub Cadet claims in their operating manual to not exceed 15 degree slopes for the RZT residential zero turn mower. Husqvarna says 10 degrees for their comparable models. Is Husqvarna just being extra careful with the 10 degree recommendation rather than Cub Cadet's 15, or is there really some signifcant difference to make the Husqvarna particularly less stable than the Cub Cadet?

I know I've seen pros on much steeper slopes, but they are pros, and just because they do it doesn't mean they should.

Lastly, does anyone here have any particular recommendation of one over the other? I figure at a given price point they are probably all about the same.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Can't recommend any in your list . I know nothing about them. Your said husky slope is rated at 10° vers 15° cub.If you flip it at the recommended they could be liability issues.Also you said you've seen pros on steeper. Pros use different mowers . more suitable for hills. The rear weight tires center of gravity and techniques makes a big difference.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would recommend a Toro model SW3200. This steering wheel model is more stable than the lever type zero turns, and should work fine for your conditions.

Captain Slow

Threads
I would recommend a Toro model SW3200. This steering wheel model is more stable than the lever type zero turns, and should work fine for your conditions.

Thanks for your opinion. A front steering model may be just what I need but I'd rather step up to a twin cylinder engine. Have you heard much, good or bad, about the Chinese Toro engines in general? How would you think the SW4200 with the 42" stamped deck might compare to the Cub RZT S 46" with fabricated deck?

The hydros are the same, Kohler vs "Toro" engine, which I kind of doubt will be the weak point for either. The cub deck may be a little tougher. So I guess all that is left to really compare is the frame and overall quality of construction, switches and levers etc. What do you say?

primerbulb120

Threads
Thanks for your opinion. A front steering model may be just what I need but I'd rather step up to a twin cylinder engine. Have you heard much, good or bad, about the Chinese Toro engines in general? How would you think the SW4200 with the 42" stamped deck might compare to the Cub RZT S 46" with fabricated deck?

The hydros are the same, Kohler vs "Toro" engine, which I kind of doubt will be the weak point for either. The cub deck may be a little tougher. So I guess all that is left to really compare is the frame and overall quality of construction, switches and levers etc. What do you say?

Get the Kohler. The Chinese Toro may be a good engine, but parts availability will be better with the Kohler.

There's a reason why most commercial mowers use fabricated decks. They are sturdier and don't bend as easily as stamped decks do. They're also easier to repair if a spot rusts through. I can't say for sure about the cut quality, but I'm thinking the Cub will cut better due to a deeper deck.

If I were you, I would be looking for a used commercial ZTR. Commercial mowers are sturdier, faster and better built than residential models.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, I must say I work for a Toro dealership. I have not seen any problems with the "Toro" engines and have no problem with parts availability. No way I am going to say that a stamped deck will preform like a fab deck, the stamped deck will not be as durable. If you want to compare look at Toro model SWX4250, which has a fab deck. If you are comparing the Toro vs. Cub make sure to look at which model Cub you are looking at and compare "apples to apples" as Cub has two different RZT Series units.

primerbulb120

Threads
How do Toro engine part prices compare with Kohler ones?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Haven't had to make any major repairs to the Toro engines, so don't know about major part costs. Do know that carbs a much cheaper and easier to work on.

Captain Slow

Threads
First, I must say I work for a Toro dealership. I have not seen any problems with the "Toro" engines and have no problem with parts availability.

That's good to hear about the toro engine parts being readily available. Its been my experience that if an engine makes it through the warranty period it probably is going to have a good long life and some other problem will end up parking it.

I looked at a cub rzt with a stamped deck and a toro residential model also with a stamped deck this afternoon. Both were lap bar models. The toro seemed quite a bit sturdier with the heavy channel steel frame rails and the stamped toro deck seemed sturdier as well. The engine bay seemed cleaner with much better access to the oil filter than the cub. In fact the cub on the show room had some oil dripped around back there where someone probably struggled to install the filter..lol. At this point I'd almost rather have the Toro, probably the SW4200, even if I can only afford the stamped deck from them.

As in interesting data point, the toro seems to weigh about 50 lbs more than the cub, That's comparing the 42" stamped deck, front steer models, apples to apples.

I still haven't been able to see a front wheel steering model of either brand in person. Can anyone comment at all on the reliability of the linkages for that on either the Toro or the Cub? Do the linkages require a much maintenance and adjusting or is it just something to keep clean and lubed?

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I run toro zmaster ztr commercially. I have very few problems with toro . I have 1 toro with over 3000 hours. If you buy a toro in the mid commercial range I think you will be happy with it.