Buying Advice Hustler Fastrak or Country Clipper Edge XLT? which one?

troy76

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Hustler Fastrak or Country Clipper Edge XLT? which one?
I am looking at buying my first and hopefully last zero turn. I only have 1.5 acres to mow that is fairly level. I'm 52 and want this to be the last mower I buy and want to keep it near $6K.

I have narrowed it down to a Hustler Fastrak 54" $5695 or a Country Clipper Edge XLT 52" $5995.
Hustler has a Kawasaki FR691, ZT-3100, 10 gauge deck, tires:Front 13x6.5-6, rear 22x11-10
Country Clipper has a Kawasaki FR730, ZT-2800, 14 gauge deck with "strategic" 10 gauge reinforcements, joystick drive, flip up deck, tires: Front 13x6.5-6,Rear 20x10-10
I'm a bit concerned about the CC and its supposed 14 gauge deck, will it last 20 years? I do take care of my stuff, but.....

On another note the Hustler dealer says the new Hustler Raptor SDX would work just fine for me. It has a 54" deck-not sure on gauge, kawasaki FR691, ZT-2800, tires: front 13x6.5, rear 20x12 for $4400.

If I go the Hustler Fastrak route, is the extra $1600 worth it? Compared to the Raptor SDX that is.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fasttrak is a much better machine than the Raptor. Raptor should be dropped off your list. Not even in the running.

bill1631

Threads
Hi,
I have owned both a 1989 Hustler 440 which is a commercial 54" mower (42 Horse Ford industrial 4 cylinder engine) and at present a Country Clipper Boss 60" with a Kawasaki 26 HP engine. Remember the engine and mower are generally made by different peoples. The Hustler I bought used and I always seemed to have a problem with it. I finally got tired of working on the Hustler and sold it. The Clipper I bought new in 2010 and have had no problems with the mower. I had one problem with the Kawasaki engine (bad coil) and being I am considerably older than you and not quite the do it yourself I used to be I had my dealer fix it. The 14 Gauge deck is about .078 in thickness and with reinforcements should push down and mow 2 inch trees without a problem. The tilt up deck is the cat's PJ's. Instead of laying on the ground to clean it or change the blades, I tilt it and sit on a shop stool to clean and change blades. To change blades, I use an air impact wrench and don't have to block the blades. Zip zip and their off or on. Grind them sharp and away I go. I love the Joy stick control and you will become good at it after a mowing or two. I have about 10 acres but only mow about 5 or 6 acres. I have had no problems with the Clipper save a couple of springs that keep tension on the belts. I did change the belts but didn't need to as the were still in decent shape but I found a good price on new ones on the net at 2 feathers small motors. I love my Country Clipper and am looking at the new 72" Boss.
Bill - Northwest IN - Long retired

bill1631

Threads
Hi,
I have owned both a 1989 Hustler 440 which is a commercial 54" mower (42 Horse Ford industrial 4 cylinder engine) and at present a Country Clipper Boss 60" with a Kawasaki 26 HP engine. Remember the engine and mower are generally made by different peoples. The Hustler I bought used and I always seemed to have a problem with it. I finally got tired of working on the Hustler and sold it. The Clipper I bought new in 2010 and have had no problems with the mower. I had one problem with the Kawasaki engine (bad coil) and being I am considerably older than you and not quite the do it yourself I used to be I had my dealer fix it. The 14 Gauge deck is about .078 in thickness and with reinforcements should push down and mow 2 inch trees without a problem. The tilt up deck is the cat's PJ's. Instead of laying on the ground to clean it or change the blades, I tilt it and sit on a shop stool to clean and change blades. To change blades, I use an air impact wrench and don't have to block the blades. Zip zip and their off or on. Grind them sharp and away I go. I love the Joy stick control and you will become good at it after a mowing or two. I have about 10 acres but only mow about 5 or 6 acres. I have had no problems with the Clipper save a couple of springs that keep tension on the belts. I did change the belts but didn't need to as the were still in decent shape but I found a good price on new ones on the net at 2 feathers small motors. I love my Country Clipper and am looking at the new 72" Boss.
Bill - Northwest IN - Long retired